Cracked engine mount

brockd

XS400 Newbie
Reaction score
Drat, darnit, fiddlesticks, and all the rest.

She went in to the shop last weekend to get a safety so I could pick her up next Thursday and the shop discovered a) cracked carb boots (no biggie) and b) a cracked engine mount. Obviously they can't safety her without this being fixed.

Has anyone run in to this problem before? I'm hoping I can find a skilled enough welder who can work with everything on the bike to avoid having to pay the shop to strip everything away and put it back together.

Eugh... might be another few weeks before this guy gets on the road.

Drat, darnit, fiddlesticks, and all the rest.

She went in to the shop last weekend to get a safety so I could pick her up next Thursday and the shop discovered a) cracked carb boots (no biggie) and b) a cracked engine mount. Obviously they can't safety her without this being fixed.

Has anyone run in to this problem before? I'm hoping I can find a skilled enough welder who can work with everything on the bike to avoid having to pay the shop to strip everything away and put it back together.

Eugh... might be another few weeks before this guy gets on the road.

I had a mount remade as a big chunk was missing, so its doable.

A DIY option is the lumiweld rods and a MAP gas

Those are some very thorough mechanics!

Sure it can be welded. All the mounts are fairly accessible with minimal pieces that need to be removed. They'll need to sand away some paint on the frame though so you'll probably need to touch that up afterwards.

Waiting to get pics from the shop. The bike is 300km away in my hometown. Managed to find a welder who's willing to bring his kit down to the shop on Saturday. Fingers crossed all goes well.

Finally got some pics from my guy. He had an unfortunate family emergency and didn't get around to anything the past 2 weeks. I've attached a few photos of where the mount is and some close ups of the crack. It sounds like it won't be a big weld job, but he's likely gonna have to strip out the engine to get at it.

Attachments

• Bike crack.jpg
    Bike crack.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 377
  • bike crack1.jpg
    bike crack1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 375
  • bike crack 3.jpg
    bike crack 3.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 373
  • bike crack 4.jpg
    bike crack 4.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 375
  • bike crack 2.jpg
    bike crack 2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 366
Most of the xs400's that I have seen look a lot like that. The 81-82 sohc bikes don't even use that mount. That garage you took it to had it out for ya:wink2: A few tacks and it's done.

Chris - yeah it won't be tough once he can get the torch in there. It's just all the bloody prep work and reassembly that's going to hurt.

Success!
Now to get it back together and pay the shop fees...:doh:

Attachments

• WP_20150408_009.jpg
    WP_20150408_009.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 392
  • WP_20150408_011.jpg
    WP_20150408_011.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 384
  • WP_20150408_010.jpg
    WP_20150408_010.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 375
  • WP_20150408_012.jpg
    WP_20150408_012.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 368
do you guys think these engine mounts can be repaired??

Attachments

• IMG_1641.jpg
    IMG_1641.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_1636.jpg
    IMG_1636.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_1640.jpg
    IMG_1640.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_1642 1.jpg
    IMG_1642 1.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 355
thank goodness! i had a feeling they would but a little reassurance makes me feel better. im bringing her in tuesday to a good welder.. and since i have the engine out im planing on getting the frame, swing arm, and a few other little parts powder coated at the place too. so the bright side to this tragic discovery is im gonna have a nicely powder coated frame.:thumbsup:

thanks for the responses guys!

Back