Crazy helmet idea or not.

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Since its been so hot lately and when I wear my helmet my head gets extremely hot and my hair gets drenched.So I came up with an idea that should help that situation.Drill some half inch holes in font of the helmet so some air can circulate through it.What do ya guys think?

I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize the integrity of a helmet. In fact they say your supposed to replace your helmet if you drop it from height over 3ft or something. Might as well wear a vented bicycle helmet at that point. lol

I wear a halo headband under my helmet if I think I am gonna be sweating and it prevents sweat from going into my eye area. My helmet gets a lot of air flow and I can convert it to a open face with one hand (Shark Evoline Modular). So maybe it is your helmet model is the problem?

Its an extra helmet I have that I was thinking of which to try this idea.Yeah I know I need something much better but at the moment I dont have $100 or more to drop on buying a new and better one that breaths.

I took one of my old helmets and drilled some holes in the front,Im wondering if should drill a couple in the back also?Yeah I also wear a bandana to keep swet from dripping in my eyes.

How big of a hole are you drilling? Is it not cool enough leaving the visor open?

I would agree with the above to avoid drilling and compromise the integrity. But in the end it's your helmet and your head, I think it'll still be better than no helmet!

Are helmets required in your state? If so, your modifications have made it non-compliant and if stopped by a cop, you risk a fine. Worse yet, your insurance coverage is void since you are not wearing an approved helmet. Do NOT get in an accident when wearing it. Heck, do NOT wear that helmet! DO smash it with a sledge hammer and then throw it in the trash.

Messing with something that has a certification, invalidates the certification. It is that simple, and not open to discussion or debate.

wear an open face, plenty of air and you should get air venting under the helmet through the lining gaps

No helmets arent required the law on them was just changed this year.Which doesnt matter to me I ride with one at all times even though I dont like to.
tHE HELMET IS OPEN FACE 100%.I drilled 3 holes in it 1 on each side and 1 in the middle.I highly doubt I did anything to ruin its integrity theres not much protective foam in it anywas.It doesnt help at all when the humidty has been in the 70%-80% range.It wasnt my good helmet that I tryed this just an old spare that I had.I`ll have shop around on CL and see if I can find one thats vented and breaths.

No helmets arent required the law on them was just changed this year.Which doesnt matter to me I ride with one at all times even though I dont like to.
tHE HELMET IS OPEN FACE 100%.I drilled 3 holes in it 1 on each side and 1 in the middle.I highly doubt I did anything to ruin its integrity theres not much protective foam in it anywas.It doesnt help at all when the humidty has been in the 70%-80% range.It wasnt my good helmet that I tryed this just an old spare that I had.I`ll have shop around on CL and see if I can find one thats vented and breaths.

It is your head, and the law in your state is of the opinion that it is not worth protecting. So be it. You will have to determine the value of your head. Don't forget to consider your family and friends and how a head injury to you would effect them, short and long term. How would your wife feel having to visit you in the hospital when you are in a coma? And what would the financial burden do to her? Ask her. And be sure to write up a DNR and sign your organ donor card.

Your modifications have changed the structural integrity of the helmet. For the worse. The weather is not a consideration in this. If it is too hot for you to ride, then don't. But don't make excuses. There are many helmets on the market that have great ventilation. I'm sure you can find one.

It is your head, and the law in your state is of the opinion that it is not worth protecting. So be it. You will have to determine the value of your head. Don't forget to consider your family and friends and how a head injury to you would effect them, short and long term. How would your wife feel having to visit you in the hospital when you are in a coma? And what would the financial burden do to her? Ask her. And be sure to write up a DNR and sign your organ donor card.

Your modifications have changed the structural integrity of the helmet. For the worse. The weather is not a consideration in this. If it is too hot for you to ride, then don't. But don't make excuses. There are many helmets on the market that have great ventilation. I'm sure you can find one.

Its not just my state that has no helmet laws,there are many here.Its the choice of the rider wether or not they wish to protect their heads or not.Holes or no holes I have 2 helmets to chose to wear.The helmet I drilled the holes in only has about 1.4 inch of whatever material its made from and half inch of polysterine.It was what I wore till I got a better one.With the chincy contruction of the old helmet I doubt seriously I hurt the integrity of it since there isnt much there to begin with.
As for the organ donor I have always been one since I got my license.I have medical insurance so if Im ever injured in anyway its paid for.The only thing I dont have is a life insurance policy and my will hasnt been drawn up yet but Im working on getting both.This is one of the first things I thought of when I first started riding.Theres risk in life no matter what you do or where you are,if its my time then so be it Im prepared the best I can be.Just where I live puts me in inbetween two places that have the highest crime rates in the nation.Oh I should note I have already survived many circumstances that would have already taken most people to thier graves.

Scorpio, that was really a bad idea. It's not just the foam and polystyrene liners that make a helmet safe, it's the outer shell as well. Without the hard shell your liner won't do much in a crash. I've always been told if there is so much as a scratch on your helmet, shitcan it. That's why you're not supposed to leave your helmet on the seat of your bike, either. If it falls off and hits the ground, that's it. It's done it's job, time for a new one. Helmets are not something you want to mess with, they are pretty well engineered, but only for one use. Ever read the directions and see that they say not to even put stickers on your helmet?

In the early seventies, Bell were widely considered as the best helmet available. I bought a new one every three years when I raced motocross. Bell's competition made incredibly cheap helmets in an attempt to grab market share. This thread reminds me of an ad they ran then. " If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet."

Well seems I brought up a idea that brings up a firestorm of controversary(whats new about that LOL).
You guys seem to be ignoring something I have said Its not my only helmet and its a very old one that I drilled the holes in.
I have a much better helmet that I wear regularly thats perfectly intact.Thanks though for all the safety concerns:thumbsup: I wont be drilling any holes in this one:).

I think more than anything, everyone is genuinely concerned. If anything, I doubt anyone wants a newbie to come onto this forum and do such a thing to their helmet and think that it is ok. Its just setting a bad example; if people here didnt step up and warn of the consequences of your actions.

Also Im sure everyone heard loud and clear that you have a 2nd helmet but a 2nd helmet doesnt matter if it is not the one you are wearing when you go down in an accident does it? Thats like saying you have a drivers license but saying you left it at home when a cop pulls you over.

In the end it is your head but I doubt anyone here is really going to validate your idea with drilling holes into a helmet like your first post is asking. You did ask what everyone thought..

Drilling holes into a helmet is NOT a good idea. Over here they recommend to get a new helmet if its taken one heavy blow, let alone had holes drilled though it :confused:

To all new riders: Its not recommended to drill out your own ventilation or make any mods to a safety helmet at all.

Scorps, you need to start living UPWIND from chemical valley bro :laugh:

DON'T DRILL HOLES IN YOUR HELMET!!! If your helmet is 5-7 years old you should get a new one anyway. Over time the foam inside shrinks and gets hard and will not work as it was intended:wink2:

Scorps, you need to start living UPWIND from chemical valley bro
Auh you know about the notorious cloud that blows over from acrosss the river,then makes people do dumb things like drill holes in their helmet?This is what happens when you live upwind from chemical valley and not down wind.The wind is predominatly from the se..Thank You for all your concerns:thumbsup: Im still new and learning so live and learn.

Back