CRUNCH TIME: Motor re-assembly has begun!!!!

Drewpy to the rescue again, your a legend mate thanks again for bailing me out :thumbsup: It is good advice, the logical aproach is always best. And thats also good to know as well the rings having sharp edges, ill be careful when handle them!

Just one question Drew, how do i measure the gap with the piston in the bore. are there special feeler guages that will fit in there like that?

As you have a 50:50 chance, I would just use what you have and get the clearances equal to each bore. I.E. if one's got a really big gap and the other tight, swap 'em over.

normally you use special micrometers for internal bores and external mics for pistons.

hope you didn't mix up the rings?

No the rings are still on the pistons! My brother has a micrometer but its probably a normal one not especially for this job?

Good news you blokes! I got some NOS pistons and rings! Sorry not much progress here latly on the rebuild, ive been waiting on these parts. So now its going to be a full top end rebuild not just a freshen up. Over here in oz these are EXTREMELY rare in standard size, but in oversize are more or less non existant. Shall look into organising a rebore and proceed with rebuild, will post any progress as it happens. Oh yeah thanks heaps drew for helping me out with the part numbers, you helped make this happen mate:thumbsup:

Last edited:
no probs, make sure you get a decent machinist to do the re-bore and make sure he/she has experience and insurance. heard heaps of folks have had probs with an over zealous line borer. don't forget a decent cross hatch hone too.

also make sure you give the pistons with the barrel and they are marked for each cylinder

no probs, make sure you get a decent machinist to do the re-bore and make sure he/she has experience and insurance. heard heaps of folks have had probs with an over zealous line borer. don't forget a decent cross hatch hone too.

also make sure you give the pistons with the barrel and they are marked for each cylinder

Good call, ill make a few enquiries before booking it in to someone. Im pretty sure the vapour guy i used will be in the know.

Hey Greasey, did you remove the rocker arms for vapour blasting?

Have you had the barrels machined for the new pistons?

Hi pork chop, nah I didnt remove the rocker arms for vapour blasting. The guy would have said if they needed removing, hes doing bike motors all the time and rides himself. And YES the barrels are rebored and came up trumps:D Had some pitting inside one of the sleeves possibly from water sitting in it at some stage, so they were a little worried it wouldnt clean right up. But ended up they came up beautiful, they even commented on how good they came up so yeah i was pretty happy. Put the pistons in the bores to see how they fit and theyre PERFECT! Was going to put the top end back together this weekend but got tied up:shrug: Anyway heres some piccys of barrels:thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSC03963.jpg
    DSC03963.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 257
  • DSC03967.jpg
    DSC03967.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC03968.jpg
    DSC03968.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 267
  • DSC03969.jpg
    DSC03969.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC03970.jpg
    DSC03970.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 272
Oh yeah valves have been relapped and new valve stem seals installed. This motor should be very nice if we put back together good,lol.

Attachments

• DSC03971.jpg
    DSC03971.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 290
  • DSC03972.jpg
    DSC03972.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 298
  • DSC03973.jpg
    DSC03973.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 286
  • DSC03974.jpg
    DSC03974.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 274
weird having the Yamaha logo stamped on the valve head. that would create a hot spot and cause pre-detonation!

looks like something got in the bore too, as I can see a little indent on the inlet valve.

looks the dogs though :thumbsup:

weird having the Yamaha logo stamped on the valve head. that would create a hot spot and cause pre-detonation!

looks like something got in the bore too, as I can see a little indent on the inlet valve.

looks the dogs though :thumbsup:

Mine have got the logo too. Might be an Aussie thing.?

Back