Crush1776 New Build

coming along nicely! ive been considering a seat like that as well. mx bars? or superbike? cant tell for sure.

$12 used Renthal MX bars. I found a guy online that will make a seat cover for $30 if I send him a pattern, so I will be running at least a few of these layers of padding. I can't beat that deal locally!

love the headlamp and like the way this is shaping up.

You start off with an image in your mind and try to build it, but reality has a different idea and its sometimes for the best!

Yeah, this is starting to go complete "bratstyle", whereas initially I intended to combine cafe, street tracker, and brat. I may not even run the removable tail section I intended depending on how the seat turns out.

I am obviously going to have to rewire a bit to get rid of the birds nest up front.

Thanks fellers!:)

What kind of foam is that? I bought some high density stuff from my local fabric store, but I am thinking that I need something even more dense for a bottom layer. I might try gutting my old seat foam or using a standing mat from the hardware store as a basal layer.

It's a camping pad from WalMart: Polyolefin. I went to the foam supply place wanting to pick up some rebond foam, but that stuff is $$$$. This should suit my purposes fine, the cover I'm having made with have 1/2" foam "tuck and roll" on it, so that will help. This stuff is pretty firm.

DSC00531.jpg

Last edited:
I'm diggin it so far...using a similar foam for my seat...eventually.That way I can get the look I want...even if it sacrifices comfort.....I can either strap Charmin to my ass...or rent a fat chick to sit on for the day...I think my wife will prefer the Charmin...but she should also be less intimidated by the fat chick!!LOL

OK, got a custom seat cover fabbed up by sending a guy my pattern with some detailed notes, he made it for $30 shipped. I think it came out very nice:

DSC00643.jpg

DSC00654.jpg

DSC00647.jpg

DSC00648.jpg

DSC00650.jpg

Note: it has not been pulled down and glued/ riveted yet, so it will tighten up.

Well, I got violated on the aluminum piece: $20 + $6 pad + $10 priority mail to send the pattern +$30 for the cover and return shipping = $66 all in. I still have some spray adhesive in the garage so hopefully I don't need another can, and I think I have some rivets somewhere. I'm still happy at that price though. Would have been at least $200 to have someone do it local methinks.

dude that is a steal on the upholstery work. i'd guess my shop would charge at least 150.00. that foam you chose is perfect for a thin seat like that. you won't sink through that on a long ride and the 1/2 inch sewn in the cover will make it feel plush!!!

Seat looks cool Crush, similar vibe to the Wrenchmonkee bikes which I have yet to see a bad one. The price was pretty amazing too, when I get my seat done here in the UK it will cost loads more I'm sure.

As VS77 said, how is the dry build going? Ready for tear down and paint soon?

Caddy

Next up is detangling the stock ratsnest wiring and working up a tail light and tag mount. Then paint the tank and sidecovers and lower portion of the cylinder and polish the polishable engine stuff. Then paint the exhaust high-temp flat black. I also obtained an 18" disc brake rear wheel so I need to swap that out eventually. Then I'll ride it around a bit to shake it down and work out any bugs. Eventually I'll do a full tear down,Paint the frame, relocate the battery and add some pod filters, make a custom exhaust and tune it to the mods.

Cheers!

Trimmed/ lowered the front fender, put on an aftermarket throttle, fired it up and rode around the block for the first time since I took it apart. What a fun little bike! The front fender still needs some final shaping, but it's close I think. I suppose I'll tackle the wiring tomorrow. I'm not happy with the job I did securing the seat cover: I stretched it around the pan and used rivets, which would have been fine had I not also used some spray adhesive. Even though I only used it on the perimeter of the bottom, it still screwed me up: Aaaarg! Once you start putting it on with that snot you have no adjustability. I'll probably end up redoing it...

DSC01131.jpg

DSC01132.jpg

DSC01134.jpg

i hate spray adveasive and fabric, tried to make a consol for my car last summer using the same rivits and adhesive method, turned out looking like a big rag with snot all over it

like the front fender, should act as a shock stifener too!

OK, so every time I looked at my bike I saw the crappy job I did on the seat. It bugged me all day at work today. I stopped by the fabric store on my way home and picked up some 1/4" open cell foam, cut a strip 1.5" wide, drilled the rivets out, peeled the cover off and adhesive sprayed it to the perimeter of my camping pad foam. I replaced the cover with new rivets/ rivet holes and viola: a bajillion percent improvement. I think I'll be able to sleep now!

DSC01135.jpg

DSC01136.jpg

DSC01137.jpg

DSC01138.jpg

DSC01140.jpg

DSC01141.jpg

DSC01142.jpg

DSC01143.jpg

Last edited:
Back