Custom Seat Advice

Monowakari

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bear with me,

The idea is for suggestions and advice here, not, "lets be practical kid, you cant do this." :thumbsup:

Converting from solo seat (with fairly chopped frame) to enough room for up to a 2 hour trip through vancouver island (<90kmh with twisties and highway stretches) with the gf. Also need room to strap a bag down sometimes (grocery, schoolbag, etc).

So I did a cardboard cutout to "guess" a shape. But I dont know how much room a passenger needs to be comfortable. The cutout length is 24" and I'm doing an inch high of neoprene base plus a nice high density 1.5" foam topper.

The wood and foam will be wrapped in leather or similar (affordable/budget) product. And the wood is probably not to scale, as I need to figure out how to shape it or bolt it together in layers to shape it with the rise roughly shown.

I drew up a REALLY rough drawing for some opinions before I start cutting into real materials.

SEAT 2.png

1. Cant sit in the red, I've tried solo, makes shifting nigh impossible and nads very uncomfortable when braking.
  2. The yellow is the "gray" area where we can adjust where and how closely we sit.
  3. Is the green unnecessary seating? Would reduce overall length to ~20" for a seat.
I'd be adding a brace where the red angle that says "brace" is located in the picture, either clamped to or bolted through that area of the frame.

The last issue is the light, I'd have to cut out the seat pan material and use a steel cover over the light to avoid putting weight on the brake light bracket and cut the difference from the bottom of the neoprene foam. The light WILL be visible under the seat from 3 feet back or more, gotta have that rear brake light man. I've thought about chopping it off and moving it somehow, but need the clearance.

I dont have much in the way of a place to build this so im stuck to basics (not re-chopping frame and welding a whole damn new thing up).

I can change the rear shocks to something a little more absorbent/stiff for the weight of her and I (hopefully with easy-adjustable to solo rides). She's 120 dry and I'm 180 dry. With riding gear and stuff for light overnight camping probably combined 400-450lbs (plus or minus)...this is my only concern: the weight on the rear.

I'm stuck between a wood seat pan, which I can work with, or figuring out everything and getting someone to fab something out of steel; which I could do granted I had the tools (ex-welder).

If we're limited to 1 hour trips or so then whatever, the camping can wait for a bike or two into the future.

IMG_0150.JPG IMG_0153.JPG IMG_0156.JPG IMG_0151.JPG IMG_0155.JPG

Thoughts? beyond :hellno:...

Last edited:
Ever figure anything out?

Shoutout to Victoria. Hope you hit those roads all the way out to Tofino. I've been there every year since I was a kid and can't wait to do that on a motorcycle

In my humble opinion,to support a passenger you would need some kind of subframe if not welded,at least bolted on...or you run the risk of dropping your passenger on the rear wheel. If I was to have a passenger I would add a slight kick-up at the very end so as not to have the said passenger slide off...

Back