Darkmidnightwarrior's Tracker Build

DARKMIDKNIGHTWARRIOR

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
This will be the start of my tracker build. I am not 100% sure on what all I will be doing yet. I will first get it up to running good, then take off from there. It will probably be a little slow going. I am in no rush. I like to take my time and do it right. I will be going with gloss black and red for colors. I have already seen some nice work here that I may borrow ideas from. I like the fatter dual sport tires and the longer rear shocks look. I will be cleaning out the center triangle as well. It is a 1979 XS400 2f I believe. I have a few pics from the day I bought her to serve as the before shots.

full

full

full

full

full

I will update as I get things done. Now I wait for warmth and parts!!:D

Welcome to all the fun:D Good find. The model you have is the 79 F. The 2-f had spoke wheels and no e-start. If you look in my album I have one. It will be nice to see what you come up with.

Not much to report yet! I got to do a first "ride". Just a few laps in the cul-de sac. I had cleaned up the brake calipers and pads then put it back together. I wanted to test it all out before I started taking a bunch of stuff apart. The rear caliper or master cylinder is locked up now so it made the test ride not easy. I had some parts come in and more on the way. I got a few oil filters, a fuel filter, new grips, throttle and clutch cable and the petcock rebuild kit. Waiting on the all new levers, perches and master cylinder for the front to come in. I have the old stock rear master cylinder from my Warrior that looks like I can adapt to the XS. I will be ordering new braided brake lines for the front and rear, new bars and maybe a few other things soon. I started taking some of the old stuff off the other day before the rain came and remembered to take a few pics.

full

full

full

Doesn't look too bad under the tank I think!

I forgot to ask here first so I might have wasted some money. Does the xs650 steering stem bolt work for the xs400? I also have not thought to ask if any members here make any parts for the xs400?

yeah I just dig em, got that 60's chopper vibe, you could mod them into passenger pegs as well. Check out the tech on Chop Cult for D.I.Y. motocross pegs some good inspiration there.

No new pics. Not much more done. I got in a few more parts like a new vacuum less petcock and my ultrasonic cleaner. Then I started to strip down the carbs for their bath. Those darn carb connection screws did NOT want to come out. After I got them separated I got one taken apart no problem. The other one the last butterfly screw head rounded out. I thought I was in trouble but the Craftsman easy-out finally got it! All that's left to clean for the carbs is getting those slide snaps ring out of there. I will get new butterfly shaft seals and jets for the planned mods. Now I only hope the mix needles are going to be useable. I will post more as I go.

Got the carbs all cleaned up and put together. Just need to get some new fuel line and paint the brackets. When I started to put them back together I found a bunch of ugly scratches in the top edges of the diaphragm area. I put some 1000 grit sandpaper on a flat surface and knocked them down a bit.
full

full

After assembly I tested the vacuum and they both held great. I guess one of the floats has been replaced because this pic looks like a before and after cleaning but it is not. They have both been cleaned the same way.
full

This is just a pic for how the bodies turn out.
full

I will a couple more of after when I paint and get the new line. Just waiting for my new mufflers from Oldbike barn to get here. Then I will get some more done.

Looks like someone has done a bit of wiring work on the charging system.

Dark: Wow! the inside of your casing looks like mine did! I just got done tearing that all down and scrubbing the daylights out of it. I replaced the gasket to the alternator cover. that seemed to be the culprit of all the gunk build up. just a heads up :-D

That's what I thought XsChris. The red, yellow and blueish wires do not go all the way up to the stock connector. The other side of the conn. has the stock cloth white and yellow wires. The two green are stock all the way. That is plastic wire loom melted over the wires not grease. It doesn't look like heat or fire damage though!? The bike started and ran/ idled ok. I am not sure about keeping a battery charged though. It didn't have a battery when I got it and I took out the new one after the start up test. Thanks for the help and looking in on my thread. I will gently clean the area and check for leaks and broken/ damaged wires. I may go ahead and get a full gasket kit.

Last edited:
Ok, I got a gasket kit and the head light I will try to use. Sorry I don't put pics of my parts as they come in. It's cause I want the over all look to be a sort of surprise when I get closer to being done. I haven't got to do much more yet. It rained on my days off and the last few days after work I was helping build a privacy fence at my brother's house. So for now here is the carbs reassembled after the ultrasonic cleaning.

full

full

full

full

Back