Dead Headlight

Dennis Moore

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Friends. I have a dead headlight on my 1982 XS400RJ. All other lights work--turn signals, stop/taillight, instrument lights, plus the neutral, oil and blinker on the center cluster. I took apart the Low-Hi beam switch to see if there was any obvious problem. Everything looked good although you can't really see the rocker switch innards. Battery is strong. Only a year old. I took it up to have it load tested just to be sure. I went ahead and bought a new bulb since the one in there looks like the original. The new one doesn't light up. So, I checked all the connections and did a voltage test at the three prong connector. Negative volts. I checked the fuses. There are four fused lines under the seat. All fuses were good although I'm not sure what they specifically serve as they're not marked like in a fuse block. According to the electrical diagram one of them should be the headlight fuse unless there's another fuse for the headlight somewhere else. The only other thing I can think of is the ignition switch itself since that's what energizes the headlight. I've never taken one apart but I'm sure there are contacts in there that could be worn or dirty. It may not be serviceable. I don't know. Any words of wisdom?View attachment 31896

Hey, I don't know if you've ended up looking at the other posts, but you may want to check the headlight relay. I have a similar issue that appears to extend past that relay. I just had the bike completely apart to paint the frame, so mine could be a ground issue or who knows what else. Hope this helps.

Any pointer on where headlight relay is? Mine also not lighting up...

Cleaned up all switches and reconnected brake so my turns and brake lights all working now :)

Last edited:
Bike needs to be running or making power to trip the relay. Take out the head light and put 12v to it to check the bulb. Should be a high and low bean (two different wires).

Hey, I don't know if you've ended up looking at the other posts, but you may want to check the headlight relay. I have a similar issue that appears to extend past that relay. I just had the bike completely apart to paint the frame, so mine could be a ground issue or who knows what else. Hope this helps.
Thanks. I just ran a jumper wire from the fuse to the headlight wire on the connector in the headlight bucket. I wasn't able to locate the relay.

Back