Dies in gear

nickklugs

Seems legit
Reaction score
So I got it running and when it's up on its stand (rear wheel of ground) when I put it in gear it dies. What switch is causing this and how can I bypass it? Or what should I do?:bike::thumbsup:

The 360 didn't have any safety switches.
Are you using the clutch?

Describe the symptoms more. Does it just die as if you had turned off the kill switch or does it come to a sudden and abrupt stop?

The back wheel is off the ground so the clutch shouldn't really matter that much. But yes I used the clutch. It's as if the kill switch was hit.

Even if I give it gas like I'm trying to move from a stand still, it still dies. Also I replaced the clutch cable and it's really hard to squeeze.

Just to double check, you're shifting down into one, not up into 2? It's happened before.

Did you follow a clutch adjustment procedure when installing the new cable? Check out this post: http://www.xs400.com/forum/showpost.php?p=120532&postcount=5

If that doesn't help I suspect the clutch plates may be stuck together, unless anyone else has an alternative idea.
How long ago was the bike last running?

I don't know when it was last running. It sat in a driveway for a few years under a tarp and was last registered in 92. Also the po never tried to get it running and she said that she found it at a job site. Would the clutch plates stuck together explain the extremely hard clutch lever?

It could but so could being out of adjustment or an improperly installed clutch cable.
I think typically it's just the clutch plates that seize together but if it sat long enough the whole clutch cage could be stuck.
My clutch plates were stuck after the bike sat for 10 years but the clutch still had full range of motion. Sounds like yours sat for at least ten more than that.

Does it die when you shift gears or when you release the clutch lever?
There is a technique to try to break the clutch free without taking anything apart but I think you might be past the point of it being effective. It involves securing the front wheel against a solid wall to prevent the bike from moving, revving into higher RPMs, shifting into a higher gear, and then suddenly releasing the clutch.
There is a better description on here somewhere and other member who posted about stuck clutches.

I'd try the clutch adjustment first. You must have had the left side drive sprocket cover off to install the new clutch cable so I'd assume the push mechanism there is good but they can seize up from prolonged neglect.

If everything is good from the clutch lever down to the left side of the motor you'll have to look at the clutch cage on the right side.
The clutch plates can be seen through the dip stick hole. Might be able to get some idea of their condition from looking at them there. Visible rust build-up bridging the plates is probably the worst-case. I tried to wiggle my plates free with a screwdriver through the hole but it didn't help any. In hindsight it's probably not the best idea in case it damages the clutch plates.
If the plates are stuck and the clutch bumping method doesn't work you're most likely looking at taking the clutch out, cleaning or replacing some parts, oiling them, and reinstalling.

Okay. Ill take the clutch out. Also it stalls even when the rear wheel is off the ground even if I hold the clutch in in first gear. Oh and I checked. It does have spark when I put it in gear so I think there might be some aftermarket safety switch or something.

If you rev it up and pop the clutch with it in gear even if the plates are stuck it shouldn't die if your engine is running properly.

To test the clutch plates you can put the bike in gear with the engine off, pull in the clutch and try to spin the wheel either by pushing the bike forward or putting on center stand and try to spin it.

If it spins with clutch pulled in and in gear then they are not stuck.

If they're stuck (which is likely after this amount of time) you'll need to fix the running issue first.

To unstick them, push bike up against strong wall and while your on the bike hold front brake, start the bike, pull in clutch and put in gear. If it doesn't die out and fall over, haha, you're good. If that doesn't work then you will likely have to remove them.

Yeah so I tried that. When ever I even put it in gear with the clutch in and it dies with the back wheel off the ground. I took the plus out and put it in gear and kicked it over and there was no spark. I then put it in nuetral and it had spark

Also when I put it in gear and pull in the clutch (with the wheel of the ground) I can spin it. When I release the clutch it doesn't spin. So I don't think the plate are seized.

Ok so you know that's fine and at least the clutch is working.

Do you have the kickstand up?

Have you checked around the Kickstand for a safety switch or the clutch lever for two wires going into it?

Perhaps someone else has added a safety switch there.

OOOOOOHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah I forgot about the Kick standswitch. :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh: Well that'll make things a bit different. The kickstand switch was smashed and I guess stuck in the "kill" position.:banghead: Okay well thanks all for the input. :doh:

:thumbsup: Nick

The xs360 never came with a side stand safety switch. Only the DOHC xs400 had them.

Yeah, it wouldn't be a terribly easy thing to retrofit. Curious to see what it looks like....

Yeah I only have (currently) what needs to be wired in order to test the bike. I am going to make a new simplified wiring harness eventually.

Back