Do Chinese master cylinders come with pistons?

Tamarack

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going to buy a new master cylinder for my '83 xs400 Maxim project. I see many available on ebay from China which will fit the bill which I am able to get shipped to Canada.

However, what I can 't figure out is whether they all have the piston assembly already in or whether I'd have to get that separately and build it.

2 examples:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/7-8-Front-Br...ccessories&hash=item43cd04f2e0&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Front-Brake-...s&hash=item3a949e8122&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1#shpCntId

The titles (ex: 7/8" Front Brake Master Cylinder Reservoir Lever) make it seem like it's only the shell. Some others I've seen seem to include a "extra" rebuild kit, so it's not clear whether that's need for it to work or not, but for a couple reasons I'm not looking at these ones. I've tried asking the sellers but the only answers I can get are more or less that "it's like in the photo", which tells me nothing at all. It seems crazy that it could be sent without the piston assembly, but you never really know!

Does anyone know if these are ready to go, or if I'd need to buy the rebuild kit as well?

Thanks a lot!

I can't speak to the ones you linked specifically because I purchased a different style with a remote reservoir, but mine was certainly a complete piece of hardware. I kind of want to replace it with one like you linked for the sake of a slimmer handlebar assembly though.

Just FYI, you can usually get all those parts on aliexpress with free shipping, and the prices can be a bit cheaper than on ebay.

Just as a follow-up, my MC finally arrived from Hong Kong and it did come complete and whole, and fit on nicely. The down side is that although it is on the right-side handlebar, my mirror will not fit into the thread. The mirror from the left side fits in perfectly, but unfortunately I need that for the left side. So now I need to try to find just a left hand mirror stem to mount on my right side brake. Why this was done this way makes no sense at all to me.

Yamaha was about the only bikes that used the left hand thread on the brake side. Everybody else used right hand threads. I think they did this thinking it would help hold the mirror tight or break loose and spin in a crash.
Most after market M/C's use a right hand thread.
Leo

Back