Do these clutch plates look ok?

unleashedlive

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
E66C8822-BBEB-4542-B597-A08028E165A2.jpeg 579A34FA-6791-459F-A3D8-868AA0DEDA72.jpeg 854A6664-CD66-4594-A224-ADAB449A6F91.jpeg AEC03837-BAC0-4837-B896-1FCD60815D4D.jpeg my bike was have a lot of issues getting in to gear. I tried every adjustment possible on the cable, lever, push pin and nothing seemed to work. It wouldn’t grab until the lever was 95% out and you had to rev the sh*t out of it to get it to go.

It sat dry for a couple years so I was wondering if it was the plates. They seem to be in spec and above service levels on thickness. Only 9000km on them.

Check for warp and thickness. If that is good then make sure they are clean. I soda blast them and then brake clean. I then soak in wet clutch approved bike oil. The other thing to check is your clutch springs. Make sure those are the correct free length. These clutches grab at the last bit of the lever when new but should not slip when fully let out. Make sure the clutch front plate arrow matches the clutch bosses arrow or the clutch will not work as it should. Your getting into gear may be trans or shift drum issues.

Getting a new clutch cable will make a big difference too. It will make the pull much easier and smoother. Our clutches grab high and are very loose feeling. I keep a good slack in the clutch lever too as I prefer it that way.

Make sure the side cover on the engine is mated properly and tight. There should be TWO bearing balls on the clutch pushrod, one ball at the clutch side, and another at the screw lever that pushes the pushrod. Make sure the pushrod is straight and smooth too. Theres also the seal for the clutch rushrod that is very fragile and will most likely tear if you remove the rod. This seal will pour out oil everywhere when it goes.

Back