Does my engine sound normal? (Video Link)

MRFINCH

XS400 Member
Reaction score
There is a knocking/tapping when my engine is running which sounds like it is coming from the underside of the tank, you can hear it in this video. Just wondered if this is normal for these bikes? Thanks, Sam. :bike:

These motors do make a bit of noise anyway. But I would make sure you have set the valves correctly they do sound a bit loose. There are a few good threads on here about this.

Idle sounds a bit laboured to me. Try increasing the idle just a bit. The valves may also benefit from a bit of adjustment.

I have yes it does sound off,I seem to hear two different noises when the bike is running too much excessive play in the valves and another noise.I can also tell by the way it sounds when you give it gas something is off.On another note I dig the culoure:thumbsup:

Thanks for your feedback. I checked the valve clearances and they were pretty close and only very minor adjustment was needed. Sounds a tiny bit better which is good enough for me, don't think there are any serious problems.

What type of oil are you using. A 20w-50 for a wet clutch is what should be in there.

Or any oil marked MA, JASC MA is for wet clutch, we just posted a Oil thread, seem some like the synthetic at 50 bucks a quart. I went with the 12.00 bucks at walmart for the Shell Rotella 15w-40. (5 quarts)

If you still have the ticking noise, go and check for the right spark plug, the wrong one might be too long, tapping the top of the piston (uncommon). I hope you checked all four valves, the screw could be tapping the top of the valve cover. you might be able to feel that before it gets hot. or a missing exhaust gasket (copper gasket) Note the NGK plugs I recommend is in my signature line

Back