Doing a cafe racer build but where to hide the battery?!

caferacer

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I am about ready to order the tank and seat for the cafe racer I am making out of my 82 maxim 400. I have seen builds on the net that have the battery hidden beneath the seat hump. However the battery that was on the bike when I bought it seems too large to fit underneath the humps I have seen for sale on the internet. Can anyone offer me any clarity on this or is there a different place to hide the battery?

Thanks

I am using a 1.3aH AGM battery and it tucks neatly into the electronics tray I've mounted between the frame spars aft of the tank and fore of the shock mounts.
WySCQUf.jpg

This isn't the finished layout but I don't have any newer photos. The battery fits neatly though. It's not strong enough to run the starter motor, however; my bike is kick-only.

Even if you don't want to go that small, a sealed AGM battery will allow you to mount it anywhere without worrying about the orientation.

I was gonna order that battery this week. Glad I asked about my inspection. Turns out the e start has to work so I went with a 4 ah one so it will work.

Oh, I have a spare stock battery if your frame will accommodate it, you can use it for the inspection and then swap for the smaller one if you want.

Back