ECP's '82 Rebuild Thread

ECP89

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Picked up an '82 XS today after looking and researching for about 2 weeks.

First, a little background on me:
22yo certified body man from British Columbia (Vancouver). Never owned a street bike before, only dirt bikes (all Yammies! Still own an 07 YZ250F).

And here is my new baby:

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

Yeah, it's a project! :eek: Looks to be all there... needs some TLC for sure. I wasn't too concerned about the tank or the seat since I will most likely replacing both... but look how clean the inside of the tank is!! The petcock looks brand new too.

Pipes look decent, I'll clean them up and polish them for now and maybe replace with a 2-1 MAC down the road.

Frame looks awesome, no [serious] rust, just needs cleaning.

Brakes need to be gone thru, front is totally gone.

Shocks/forks look good.

Rubber is quite good. Rear is a Dunlop Harley Davidson take off... whitewalls even! and front is a Bridgestone. The mags look really nice.

The chrome and alloy looks okay, gonna take alot of elbow grease. Not too pitted though.

Haven`t really taken a thorough look at the engine or carbs, but I know it has compression. Gonna pull the carbs and give them a good cleaning and replace the plugs before I even try starting it obviously.

Also, it has a pretty fast oil leak on the lower left side of the engine so I`ll have to investigate that soon.

:bike:

Eric

Thanks guys.

Plans for now are:
Clipons
Cleaner signals
Larger headlight and smaller tail light
Fiberglass or aluminum seat pan/tail piece
XS standard tank
Pods

...all the usual stuff.

Gotta get her running first. Also needs an ignition switch since I didn't get keys.

Looks good. Like you say a good polish and it will look great.
Check out "PartsNmore", ignition switch is pretty cheap and a locksmith can recode your fuel cap to match the new ignition key.:thumbsup:

Just checked out that site.... I can see myself spending a few dollars there for sure!

Although, they list an ignition switch assembly... it says only from 78-80. I found some on ebay that are reasonably priced. Some are selling a package even: ignition switch; gas cap; and keys all together.

100478_11_xl.jpg

Bought a tank yesterday off eBay. $90. Doesn't have a key so I don't know what the insides are like... kinda rollin' the dice on this one abit. :shrug: The outside looks decent so I'm hoping the inside is similar.

Also bought a carb kit for both carbs; ignition switch; and jet kit from Sirius.

Washed the bike this afternoon, the engine is now clean. Hoping to find the source of the oil leak. Also found a few stray wires that have been chopped... gonna pick up a manual+wiring diagram up so I can sort that out.

Picked up a few goodies that were waiting for me:

IMG_0392.jpg

Couldn't resist trying what the tank looks like on the bike:

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

So now that I have it at home I can start tearing it down a little. Plan is to get it running/driving first with the stock 82 tank+seat... then next winter tear it down to the frame and redo everything. Just want a good ride for the summer.

Welcome Eric! I have the same blue color on an 80 model. PM me if you decide to sale that seat. I am in need of one.

Yes it does look totally different, I couldn't believe it.

I won't be using the seat in the final build, so it will be for sale. Probably fall/winter of this year. The pan is in awesome shape, but the seat covering does have a couple splits in it. In the first picture set you can sorta see them. The foam is good, and it's surprisingly comfortable.

Weather looks a bit better today (no snow) so I'm gonna do some work on it some more.

Does look good except they don't fit snuggly together as the later tank does. You can see a good 1.5" gap between them (older tanks are a bit shorter). But it's temporary anyway.

Got some forward progress this morning:

IMG_0409.jpg

Now onto the carbs. They're sitting on my bench in the shop now, I'm just waiting for the rebuild kits to come in the mail (hopefully tomorrow).

During the teardown I could not believe how easily everything came apart. Every single bolt came out with no problems at all. I only needed a 1/4" ratchet. Even the exhaust nuts and the one clamp underneath. It's like someone broke all the bolts loose for me already. I don't think I said one cuss word at all.... which just seems strange :laugh:

So I think I found the oil leak source:

IMG_0435.jpg

After I cleaned the oil from the area last weekend, I let it start leaking again so I could pinpoint the source. Well, it appears to be coming from the plastic neutral switch cover. I guess somebody previously tightened it a hair too much and cracked the one hole. Anyone run into this before? Anything wrong with simply welding (melting with filler) up the crack, and maybe replacing the o-ring?

Also, anyone know what the other ends of these wires are? They are up by the left hand ignition coil. Kinda looked at a wiring diagram, but couldn't figure it out.

IMG_0431.jpg

So otherwise, it's been a pretty good week. Got the carbs cleaned up with a couple rounds of carb cleaner, then some thinner, and let it all dry. Came out cleaner than before, but still not great. This week I'll try the cheapo soda blast method and hopefully that takes it that extra step. Test fitted the mikesXS filters on... they fit great of course and look amazing! Can't wait to see them on the bike.

The o-ring may be ok. I'd repair the plastic first and test the o-ring before replacing it. The lack of a third screw may be preventing the o-ring from making a good seal, but it is also possible the o-ring is bad too. You're obviously well aware that the plastic cannot take any real torque.

Those coils look aftermarket and the harness may have been altered to accommodate them. My guess is the red and orange wires went to a coil.

I am really not sure where the other 3 cut wires go!

Back