Reaction score
Hello all!

Very new to the forums here but I am some need of some desperate help with the final touches on my cafe racer build. I'm running into 2 problems right now. My electric start currently is working, from reading other posts this is what I've learned and done. I took the ground from the back of the electric start switch, and grounded it to somewhere else on the bike, which the bike started right up, so I know there is no problem with the wiring. I then re soldered the ground back to the back of the switch, touched the that small metal piece to a ground so see if it still worked with the new solder, which it fired right up. Now the problem is when I reattach the button together. I believe the front part of the button isn't connecting to the back part through the spring creating the circuit allowing the bike to start. Anyone have any suggestions ? Side note, these are on new handlebars, but what I learned from other posts is to sand down the bars which I did and still have nothing. I even re connected the old handlebars and still have nothing (previously worked with old handlebars). Possibly need new switch?

My next problem is during my build I lost the front banjo bolt that connects the brake line to the front caliper. Does anyone have the size or the part number for this bolt ? I have studied the parts catalog and just can't decipher in the picture what that bolt is. I have called 3 local Yamaha dealers all of which were no help at all.

Thanks for your help!

From what I read I know you guys love photos. Here she is! Just need your help to finally get it complete !

Attachments

• IMG_1657.JPG
    IMG_1657.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 516
Nice bike, Start button failure? I have followed the black line from the start button, to the headlight lamp. and found that the black line doesnt go further. I suspect that was because as the handbar button assemble is grounded on to the handle bar, ie not painted, or other wise sprayed with some sort of protectent. Ground is not needed. so back to your story, what if you where to put a pin into the bike side connector, and just ground it in the headlight lamp case? It seems to me when I was playing with mine, when my button self-destructed, I did put it in backwards, which was fine because the only other way to put it in, was the right way.

Banjo bolt, I don't have anything yet, perhaps I can get into mine by Wednesday. I don't know.

This is what I'm working with, so the blue wire is the wire to the back of the electric start. I put pulled that wire off and gave it a fresh clean and re soldered. I took that metal piece and touch it to ground and the bike started up. I don't think I'd want to ground to the headlight directly because it would be constantly trying o start then... I think it's that button of spring not touch, creating a grounded circuit to start the bike... honestly have no idea here.

Attachments

• IMG_1676.JPG
    IMG_1676.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 522
I agree, as long as the spring is keeping the contacts spread apart, it should not continuously start. I just figured Yamaha might have thought about connecting the black wire to the wire harness, when someone bright, stated, that the ground circuit is there, naturally. So take your time, test everything, open up the headlight bucket, and open up and put back the connector so that any stale connections, get fresh scrapping to help make the connections better.
Tobie

Back