Electrical/Battery/Engine Won't Turn Over?

blink5625

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Looking for some help. The saga starts two years ago:

I was really happy scooting around on my 81 XS400 Special. I rode it for about 6 months... it idled pretty high, but for the most part, it ran just fine. It didn't have an electric starter button, but I rigged one up that worked great.

On a colder day in the fall, I came back, turned the key, and realized that my green neutral light was VERY dim. I tried to turn over the engine, but I couldn't. Luckily, I was able to kick start it after about thirty tries and got it to my garage.

I thought it was just the battery, so I replaced it. It still wouldn't turn over. It sat for about a year, and I finally took it to a shop and he thought it was the missing starter button that was drawing out the charge. He found one and replaced it. He started it up a few times in the shop and it worked great. I drove it home.

I let it sit for a week due to cold weather, and then I tried to start it. It just chugged and didn't turn over. I messed with it yesterday and realized that if I pulled on a cable that was lose (below the seat, connected to some electric wires), it would turn over. I rode around all day yesterday, thinking that if I made this tight, it would turn over.

I tried again this morning, and it turned over once, but not enough to give it the gas it needed to run. I tried again and again to no avail. I put it on a battery tender, and the battery seemed to have drained a bit because it was a red light, illustrating it wasn't charged fully.

The mechanic said he thinks it a faulty battery. He said he checked to rectifier and ruled that out, and all of the cables. I am thinking it could be a couple things: the rectifier, the starter solenoid, or brushes. Any thoughts on where to start? I don't think it is the battery, and I don't want to drain another one.

Sounds like the starter is trying so the starter solenoid is probably OK.

Have you traced that mystery wire? Check the wiring diagram to see what it is. Fix up the loose connection.

Clean all the connectors associated with the charging system and starter. Regulator, rectifier, stator, field coil, handlebar controls.

Then check the stator and field coil resistances.
The procedure is in the manual.

Charging system issues are fairly common. Check out a few older threads to see what issues other members had and what steps they followed to solve them. I'm sure you'll find a matching problem and solution.

Back