Electronic Ignition

You are right drewpy. I've got a bad habit of thinking people always mean the one coming up.

I'm positive on the 400 chris. emailed with pamcopete and Mike's XS several times over the last few weeks. Here is a copy of an email received on 3/4:

racemonkey,

You have received a new private message on the XS650 Forum from pamcopete, entitled "Re: XS 400 Electronic Ignition".

To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/private.php

This is the message that was sent:

---Quote (Originally by racemonkey)---
Any plans for an electronic ignition setup for the 400 like you've done for the 650?

Thanks,
Tim Miley
---End Quote---
Funny you should ask. We are developing a system for the XS400 and should have a system in another month. The system will be like the basic XS650 system without the E-Advancer for $119.95.

Pete

We will see how it turns out. But with points being so cheap and tci stuff still around for cheap not sure a lot of people will jump at them:(

I will buy it if it looks good. I've put enough money into this bike; what's another $120? A drop in the bucket! I like replacing all the old ignition parts with new fancy things :)

Well, since the cat's out of the bag....

If you've been following my build thread of "The Mule", maybe you'll understand now that it's a TEST Mule for the Pamco.

The plan was to get some street miles on it so Pete could inspect the ignition and make sure it's ready for the market. Unfortunately, the broken exhaust stud has really slowed me down.
I can say that the Pamco makes this bike start INSTANTLY, and I haven't even finished a full tune up yet, i.e., valve and cam chain adjustment, carb synch, etc.

I'm sure it's going to be as great for the XS400 as it is for the XS650, SOHC4 Hondas, etc.
BTW, this is my CB500 (upgraded and changed many times since then; now sporting a 650cc engine). It was the test bed for the very first SOHC4 Pamco, too.

Nice. It would be a good upgrade for the points bikes or for someone that needs a new ignition. Btw my points xs400 and my factory tci xs400 both start on the first kick:wink2:

Well, since the cat's out of the bag....

If you've been following my build thread of "The Mule", maybe you'll understand now that it's a TEST Mule for the Pamco.

The plan was to get some street miles on it so Pete could inspect the ignition and make sure it's ready for the market. Unfortunately, the broken exhaust stud has really slowed me down.
I can say that the Pamco makes this bike start INSTANTLY, and I haven't even finished a full tune up yet, i.e., valve and cam chain adjustment, carb synch, etc.

I'm sure it's going to be as great for the XS400 as it is for the XS650, SOHC4 Hondas, etc.
BTW, this is my CB500 (upgraded and changed many times since then; now sporting a 650cc engine). It was the test bed for the very first SOHC4 Pamco, too.

Sorry, I didn't know about the cat.

How much would the pamco cost, any idea when it will be ready? Maybe he could do a special offer for forum members to promote it :)

Wow, that sounds good. I really had trouble with my points so I might see if the pamco can be shipped overseas ;)

I have had both the basic Pamco and the E-advancer in my 75 XS650. They both work great.
To use the basic Pamco on an Electronic ignition bike you will need all the points parts as far a the advancer and related parts, everything but the points backing plate and points.
You need the rest for the ignition to advance the timing.
Leo

The PAMCO XS400 ignition system is now available from www.mikesxs.com (Part #14-0999) or directly from PAMCO at www.xs400ignition.com

Mikesxs is selling it C/W new caps for $124.95 as that is reccomended for any electronic ignition system. PAMCO sells it for $119.95 without caps, but again it is recommended that you use new resistor caps.

xs400 ignition1.jpg

Last edited:
Back