Engine codes again!

nickso

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
This has been done before of course and I have searched, just wanted a couple of questions answered. :)

My 250 is a bit of a basket case so When I saw another one reasonably near me I bought it too as a spares bike as it had no docs and had been butchered a bit by the PO.

My 250 engine is damaged so I primarily wanted the engine off the new one. Don't know why I didn't think to check until today but the engine and frame numbers are different on the new one. The frame number is 1U5 the same as my bike but the engine code is 2A2 which puts it as a USA import 400 according to various posts on here. Does that sound right?

Is there a stamp anywhere on the head or block that says the capacity? Can't see anything. Any other way of visually spotting a 400 engine?

If this was a 400 motor and it works it would be the biggest bonus ever :D

There should be a number at the front bottom of the cylinders 391cc:)

Attachments

• DSC02216.jpg
    DSC02216.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 110
some pics of the bike/engine. Dunno if it's any use though.

20131108_133724_zpscc9f959b.jpg

20131108_133718_zps8732eb0d.jpg

20131108_133705_zps728b9ba8.jpg

Also notice the exhausts are different sizes. Is there anyway to ID the carbs?

If the carbs are 32mm it's most likely a 250 if they are 34mm it's a 400. Unless someone put a 250 top end on a 400 bottom. The other thing is someone could have ground off the 400 on the cylinders so they could tell people its a 250:shrug: The only real way of knowing is to pull the head off a measure the bore.

OK cheers for the help Chris.

I will measure the carbs and take that as the final size. Not looking to split the engine unless it doesn't run or something. I don't think the engine size has been ground...looks like normal cast marks on it to me.

Was hoping for an ID on the carbs to get new bowl gaskets as mine are rock hard.....can't seem to find ones that look like mine.

Both sets of carbs are 32mm at the butterfly :( Think I'm going to have to take the head off now....need to know what it is.

Back