Engine ran then froze.

xsbrat

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright sorry to litter the forum here. Just trying to work all the problems out. I cleaned carbs today and had the engine running for about a minute then the engine shut off and froze. I changed the oil a couple days ago so i know it had oil in it. What else should i check? im kick only and its not moving at all...:doh:

how was it running when it was running, was it running like abat outa hell, or just normal,what you might try and you may have already put in 2nd gear roll it back and forth abit see if anything breaks loose thats a big time bummer just get back on the horse and look at the new challenge easy for me to say

well, i bought this thing non-running about 2 months ago and have been rebuilding it. I finally got the carbs to where it would send fuel to the engine. started and died real quick. Started again and it ran for probably 30 seconds and that was all she wrote. it seemed to run normal but like i said i havent heard this thing run before either.. I put a little oil and wd 40 down the cylinders in hopes it would free something up. However i looked on the left side spark plug hole and looks like something is hanging down about 1/4 of an inch. any idea what that is? doesnt seem right?

Attachments

• engine picture.jpg
    engine picture.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 228
Well, i removed the valve covers everything looked great. spun engine backwards and it freed up so maybe hydro locked. wierd. So good news is that i got it started today. I could only run a little gas in the carbs as it would overflow out the left carb. So i am ordering new floats and hopefully she is ready to go! Sounded great hearing the engine run for the first time!

Good to hear. Certainly new floats won't hurt anything, but a float needle seat with some schmutz on it is more likely the issue.

Back