Engine rebuild

Viking

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi people and thanks for the membership to this awesome site :)

I am changing the piston/rings and so on,but having an issue getting the valve springs compressed to get the helpers out !!! Any help would be much appreciated :)
The bike is an 79 XS400 SOHC (2A2)
All the best from the Faroe Islands :)

Hi Viking, Wow, Faroe Islands, that’s going to be tricky to get spares!
Let’s see some pics of your build
All the best from the west of England

Yup ,its not easy to get parts.Have to get them of Ebay,which aint cheap because of where i am living :( Cant upload pic ? Will try again in a moment :)
All the best Gra900

How's this going for you?

I used a spark plug socket (18mm) and rubber mallet and they popped right out. However, I don't recommend this method unless you have a small magnet to put inside the socket because the keepers will go flying and can take hours to find in a messy garage. Don't ask me how I know. You also risk bending a valve if you don't set it on something to make a space underneath the combustion chamber.

To reinstall the valves I bought an inexpensive compression tool from Amazon for about $19 American and wish I'd waited before trying the method above. For something so cheap it worked a treat. Put a towel or thick rag over the compression chamber and head surface because it has some sharp edges and no doubt will scratch the hell out of it if you're not careful.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4J094J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back