1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

engine wont start

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jimbo31, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Jimbo31

Jimbo31 XS400 Enthusiast

I would just like to say that I read before about switching the coils but I couldnt quite understand why that would make a difference because I was lead to believe they were exactly the same. HOWEVER I just switched them like everyone suggested and it started right up, it runs perfectly im very VERY happy.

thanks everyone so much for helping out Im very grateful. I will be posting my build on here once my semesters over and hopefully the bike will be finished.

thanks again!

2. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave XS400 Guru Top Contributor

I'm glad is was an easy fix! :)

3. Drewcifer

Drewcifer 1976 XS 360 Maniac

jimbo I can tell you exactly how you did this. You probably labeled the wires when you too them off right? Left, right, etc.

Then you reinstalled your coils backwards but followed the labels you put on your leads. By your labels youd think you were correct. problem being the COILS were backwards and firing at the wrong time. Like I said.

We've ALL done it once!

XS LEO, that is a cool fact I didn't know Seems like he had his front end back on before this was an issue, but it's a cool thing to find out.

4. Liam Kempster

Liam Kempster XS400 New Member

Hello all, I'm just about to get an XS400 but it doesn't start, any knowledge you can pass down to a newbie?

5. Lou Ranger

Lou Ranger Former xs400 Luddite Top Contributor

New gas, spark plugs, test wet and dry compression, then, virtually inevitably, carb cleaning.

CaptChrome likes this.
  6. CaptChrome

CaptChrome XS400 Addict

As @Lou Ranger pointed out, all roads lead to the carbs. Clean them even if that is not the initial issue.