errrrrr Newbie question......

nickklugs

Seems legit
Reaction score
I thought that the rectifier not only converts the currents but also regulates the voltage... I guess this is wrong because there is a voltage regulator. Also if I bought a regulator/rectifier from shmeebay then would I not need the regulator? :wtf:

I guess this is wrong because there is a voltage regulator.
Yep. Stock bikes have separate, dedicated regulator and rectifier units.
Also if I bought a regulator/rectifier from shmeebay then would I not need the regulator? :wtf:
You need to make sure you get the right kind. Our bikes need additional wires from the regulator to control the alternator field coil. Five wire combo units will not work with the stock alternator, you need a 7-wire regulator/rectifier.

Make sure you buy one advertised for the XS400. Even if it is compatible not all combo units come with the proper separate connectors. A unit with a single block connector will work but will need some rewiring.

Check out this thread for options: http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14577&highlight=RR38
The best option is probably one that is prewired for the stock three and six terminal connectors.

The eBay listing item is for a scooter motor. Looks like it's designed for the same type of alternator but I don't see anything saying what alternator current it can handle. It also doesn't use the xs400 connectors so you'd still be doing some rewiring.

That regulator diagram is for an aftermarket regulator. Nothing wrong with it but if you are using the stock regulator I'd check out the wiring diagram in the service manual.
The brown wire comes from the fuse block, the green wire goes to the field coil. Our bikes don't have rotor brushes but the wiring is the same.

So I know that the connected connector is for the rectifier and the other is for the regulator. Right? The regulator connector has 4 wires going into it (blue(whats the blue for?), brown, black, yellow) and the regulator only has the 3 common wires coming out of it (black, brown, green). So do I and how do I connect these wires??? I'm sorry if I am just asking the question but I don't really know much. I checked the wiring diagrams but I can't really figure them out. Also I am making a new wiring harness from scratch so its no where near the stock layout. :wtf:

Many thanks,
Nick

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_0839.jpg
    IMG_0839.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
Those are the connectors for the field coil/neutral switch/oil pressure switch and the stator. The regulator and rectifier have different connectors near the battery.
If you're doing a rewire you could connect the regulator and rectifier directly to those connectors. You'll have to figure out something else for the neutral and oil pressure sender wires and get creative with connectors.

If you can't figure out the stock wiring diagram you're going to have trouble figuring out how to make one from scratch.

I mean I get the wiring diagrams but I'm not 100% sure if I get it... Do I need to have the oil pressure switch wired up? I don't care about the neutral switch. But is it too much a risk to not have the oil switch?

Also the black wire I am guessing is the stator??? And do I ground it? Or do I ground the black wire on the regulator and connect the green to green and black to brown? (I am still confused, sorry:confused::banghead::doh:)

Also I plugged in the rectifier and started the bike and measured the output volts on the red/black and got next to nothing? Should I just replace the rectifier? (the black/red wires weren't attached to anything)

Also do I directly connect the black/red rectifier wires into the battery? That's what I saw on the stock wiring diagrams.:confused::confused::confused:

You want the oil light. If you drop pressure while riding and don't immediately shut down, you now have a paperweight motor and transmission.

I am starting to get it. With my harness I don't have a brown wire so should I connect the brown on the reg to the main fuse? Or what was the brown wire connected to, on the diagram it looks like a lot of things.

Which diagram are you using? The xs400 diagram and the way the field coil is switched on and off is slightly different from the xs360.

Sorry for joining late, but what bike do you have? Don't be afraid to set up a signature in the control panel, that will let noobs' like me to know what bike we are referencing. Note mine, I also have reminders to change plugs, and oil type (Just incase I forget, I won't have to hunt too long)

Ought to be a 1977 XS360-2d. Differences from the XS360C wiring diagram will be the lack of e-start controls/starter motor, no auto-cancelling signals, and no reed switch in the speedo for the auto-cancelling signals.

A combo regulator/rectifier will make the new wiring harness a bit simpler. Do get one that specifies that it works with the XS360/XS400. Might cost more than some alternatives but at least you'll know that it will work.

The 78-82 sohc xs400 used a seperate solid state regulator and rectifier. They work very well. There are lots of them around. Look up there patrs number or look on ebay for them.

Okay BBS360 and xschris. Yeah I think I was actually looking at the 360-2d diagram because it didn't have any of that fancy stuff. And xschris I will look for those:thumbsup:

Back