Exhaust Change?

SoraXS400

1982 XS400
Reaction score
Before I start I bought a 1982 Maxim 400 DOHC bike for $800 (what a steal for me ;) ) and only had to rebuild the fuel petcock and lines so far. This bike I believe already runs a little lean as the throttle response is not the best from idle, is this common? I do not know if the carbs are in line as of right now, I have yet to run the monometer through them to level them out.

Has anyone changed the exhaust to a straight pipe style without rejetting the carbs? I'm on a low budget and I wanted to know if it was possible to do this? Obviously there are issues with back pressure, airflow etc. I may end up buying an airflow pod (as they're very cheap) so that would also add to the discussion of the bike running even more lean, if this is not possible it is not a big deal.

I'm not changing the bike for sound, but rather for looks so I don't mind if it gets quieter or stays the same. Any tricks for the trade out there for this type of modification?

You definitely dont want a straight pipe lol. When I rebuilt my 360, I ran it up the street with just the headers and my ears were ringing all night.

The carbs need to be super clean. Id get the manual and start reading. I believe the manuals are in the sticky post here.

Bikes like this are very sensitive to modification. The carbs are where 95% of problems exist..

Alrighty. I have my own manual and I'm capable of cleaning them out really well, just wondering what I need to do in order to make it a straight pipe.

Short answer: Don't.

Longer answer: Spend some of your time searching here and you will learn that open exhaust is no good. And that Pods are no good. Open exhaust and Pods are bad. You will find some posts claiming success. And those members are probably long gone, just like their bikes.

If your low budget precludes jets, you can't afford the "very cheap"* pods or a hack saw blade either. My (experienced) suggestion is to just service the bike properly and enjoy it's reliability. But you probably won't listen...

* very cheap because they cost actual power

Because CV carbs don't like them. They were designed to work with an airbox. Basically, you will never get more power/performance out of them with 'pod' filters on them. Just isn't possible, no matter what the hipsters tell you.

Only carbs that work well with open air are cable operated slides.

And while I'm here.... Don't run straight pipes. They ruin motorcycling for everybody, not to mention you will be looked at as a tool by everyone you ride by. And they will hurt your performance anyway.

Why go backwards in power? Plenty of decent cheap mufflers to toss on that are better than nothing.

Any change in exhaust and or intake will affect jetting....pods will disturb the laminar flow that CV carbs like to have so like everybody said...it is a trade-off thing.
However...taking the carbs out with the airbox is a nightmare:cussing:
I am going with pods from mikes xs on an h-pipe (16VGTIDAVE's design) just to keep my sanity and to stop from ruining carb boots. I may go with UNI filters down the road...
IMHO straight pipes are a calamity, make for poor performance, noise is horrendous and NO it does not make you safer by being heard by motorists...well you are being noticed but mostly as a douche...
Sorry about the editorial on straight pipes but every time my glasses rattle in the cupboard I have a few hateful thoughts about the a-Hole revving his straight pipe HD or wannabe HD on the corner....

Any change in exhaust and or intake will affect jetting....pods will disturb the laminar flow that CV carbs like to have so like everybody said...it is a trade-off thing.
However...taking the carbs out with the airbox is a nightmare:cussing:
I am going with pods from mikes xs on an h-pipe (16VGTIDAVE's design) just to keep my sanity and to stop from ruining carb boots. I may go with UNI filters down the road...
IMHO straight pipes are a calamity, make for poor performance, noise is horrendous and NO it does not make you safer by being heard by motorists...well you are being noticed but mostly as a douche...
Sorry about the editorial on straight pipes but every time my glasses rattle in the cupboard I have a few hateful thoughts about the a-Hole revving his straight pipe HD or wannabe HD on the corner....

I would also avoid the mikesxs pods. Either get real K&N or go uni. Uni filters can be found for cheap off ebay. I got a set for $35 shipped and have seen them for cheaper.

Those are for when you keep the stock air box. I was talking about uni pods. Dave did a good write up on pods on stacks. If sees this maybe he can post a link to it.

Last edited:
Back