Exploded View - 77-79' Carb

Recreateme

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Carbs are generally a hot topic on here and I saw this in my service guide and thought it would help out some people.

This is an exploded view showing a 1979 and Earlier XS400 Carburetor. It is from my Clymer Service guide.

This manual makes note, many times, that 79 and earlier model had very different carbs then the later models, so this could help some people out.

Attachments

• 79 XS400 Carbs.pdf
    233.2 KB · Views: 934
Glad to help!

If there comes a need I can scan the 1980+ model year as well. Or even other engine parts, this manual has this stuff for pretty much everything..

Posted via Mobile

Thank you for this. Reviving this to repost as image file in case helps users access easier on their phones w/o pdf reader or finding downloaded file
79 XS400 Carbs1.png

This is for the 76-77 xs360 The 77-79 xs400 is totally different. The 80-82 xs400 is also different than both of them.

Yes, they all use a mikuni bs34 but they made three different models. 76-77 xs360 used the mark 1. The 77-79 xs400 used the mark 2. And the 80-82 sohc xs400 used the 3. Mikuni has model codes for each that some manuals list

Chris, is this why they never seem to list the rebuild kit for my carb? It's always other years. They only have gaskets and float needles for 81's. I don't think the other parts will fit. I still haven't taken my carbs apart, but hopefully the jets and hard parts just need cleaning. If not, once I strip them down I'll cross that bridge.

I use only oem parts either from Yamaha or mikuni. I would search by oem part numbers to find the best deals. I have had too much bad luck with after market stuff being poorly made and faulty.

In my experience, the best kit as an alternative to the original are these keyster kits. They are very well made when it comes to, for example, nozzles or seals. The original parts as a whole for replacement in carburetors are often quite expensive, although they are bought and fitted nonetheless. It all depends on the individual approach and budget.
I have xs400 special 1981 and rebuild last week the carburetor and used keyster kits. The full kit have all parts to change only apart one big nozzles which i clean.

Back