1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

fiberglass tail section

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by urbandork, Nov 20, 2010.

1. urbandork

urbandork XS400 Member

hey I have an xs650 and I'm also working on a friends xs400... heres a few pix of the tail section I did for his bike

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gentlemanjim

gentlemanjim More Wrenchin than Ridin

Nice - lookslike a Triumph Thruxton

3. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

nice bit of glassing there. and like the intergrated rear lamp

4. coachdana

coachdana XS400 New Member

Any chance of a "how to" on this? I am looking to do the same thing, but I cant see, to find the right mold for the shape I want.

5. Ringo

Ringo bznchris

6. urbandork

urbandork XS400 Member

I use floral foam called oasis in order to shape out the hump. Its similar to shaping a surf board, and the foam is soft enough where i can use tools, cardboard sheets, and hand to shape it. Sometimes I do the hump on the bike and intergrate it with the seat section and other times I do it off the bike and combine the seat and hump after the first layer of glass.

After i shape the foam I put a layer of masking tape over it and a thin layer of vasoline before I lay the glass down so that way it will not stick to the tape. Plus after the seperation the foam is still intact. After im done laying down the glass i then sand it down and use body filler in the few spots that i may need. (depending on how well you lay glass)

This is actually the opposite way of using a mold of a negative impression and instead is more like using a ballon to paper mache a pinata.

here are some pix of a hump im working on. Its the first layer and i still have to lengthen the bottom of the hump so i get the desired line to match the seat and tank line. With this one it was easier to shape the foam off the bike rather then on. (the xs400 seat i did for my friend was done on the bike and the seat pan and hump where done as one)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im actually been thinking about doing this for ppl in the local area as a side buisness. I figured it will be a true one off and the owner of the bike will play a important roll in the design and shape of it. Something turely unique and personal :thumbsup:

7. Travis

Travis Staff Member Staff Member

8. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

that's some nice work, I like your method!

9. Great stuff, are you also a surfer? Maybe I can put my ding repair experience to use in putting together a flat tracker tail.

Also, what tank is that? Looks great!

10. Ringo

Ringo bznchris

That's a Benelli tank if my memory serves me right.

11. 78whiteorbs

78whiteorbs XS400 Member

yes, what tank is that man? How much for one of those seats? no lights , just one exactly like the red one pictured. Looks nice!

12. 78whiteorbs

78whiteorbs XS400 Member

Oh yeah , I think you are correct man.
    wow that fits great , did it have to be modded any to fit

13. urbandork

urbandork XS400 Member

yup its a benelli tank from a mojave BUT I knocked out the indentations and made a new tunnel and base for it so it would provide more volume and sit better on the frame

Wish I could but the friend who I made it for threw away the mold i think. I didnt save it because if i do start making these for people I would like them to be one offs and an inspiration of the owner of the bike.

If I did make a new mold similar to the one you see I would probably charge 200 plus shipping due to the fact that its one of a kind.

Nope direct fit. the seat pan sits flush with the frame and the hump clears the stock brace/tail light thingy. The seat can be attached several differing ways using what ever you might come up with.

14. urbandork

urbandork XS400 Member

nope not a surfer but I do want to learn how to.... I was suppose to this summer but didnt... I do skateboard and snowboard tho.

I always did like board shapers. I guess its the So Cal/Hawaii in me.

do you surf? got any pointers?

15. 78whiteorbs

78whiteorbs XS400 Member

Urban dork , I was talking about the tank. Did you cut the bottom out ? would love to see pix. How did you knock the indent out , looks pretty stock to me . This is a tank I been considering as it would polish up nice cause the old badges were glued on so there are no areas that'd need to be bondo'ed so it would look like a much more expensive alloy tank with the knee dents and all and these can be had on the cheap!

16. urbandork

urbandork XS400 Member

yup i cut the bottom out and made a new less narrow tunnel for it and then made a base for it... most of its welded up when its done ill take pix.

I was able to knock the indentations for the badges out once i had cut out the bottom.