Finally road legal!

tstidham

XS400 Addict
Top Contributor
Reaction score
So the old 1978 is finally all road legal! Passed my state safety inspection with flying colors on Thursday and it's been raining ever since! I've been riding it anyway these past 2 years piling on about 1800 miles since the re-ring and new cylinder head. I guess when you're riding in a reasonable manner and in full gear, cops don't seem to care. Had more than a few behind and beside me on those rides and one even rolled down their window at a light to ask what year it was and gave me a ride safe. But it is nice to not have to worry about that ticket anymore.
20230429_065421.jpg

And after my youth of just getting a 6 month PA permit every summer, I want to finally get my permanent MC endorsement, I'm chumping at the bit to practice for and take the skills test. This rain sucks. PA has a 35' x 28' figure eight box for the skills test, and while the 400 can do 20x20, I'm still just over the line on the 28' leg. I'll get it though.

I think there is a nicer bit of weather coming this week. Practice is always good, but I wouldn't get too concerned. If you go over a line or hit a cone, it isn't an automatic failure, only some deducted points. Just keep your eyes up and don't drop the bike and you will pass.

I plan on doing some skills practice as well to get used to the bike and to start stretching out the new cables and get the brake shoes bedded in before I taking it out into any real traffic. It's still riding!

Well, I'm finally endorsed! Passed the skills test this morning. It only took me 33 years to do it! :laugh2: I always just rode on permits all these years, but PA changed their law to only allow 3 permits within a 5 year period. Plus I'm too old to be worrying about getting caught riding dirty. It was high time to get legal! :geek:

Back