First Bike - Let's see what we can do!

Backroads

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, new member here. I just recently picked up a 1978 Yamaha XS400(f?) for a steal with a clean title and Haynes manual included, and found your site. After trolling through threads for a couple days I figured I should post my own.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and want to do as much repair, restoration work on the bike as I can, while handing it over to experts when the need arises. I was hoping to get some tips for you all who have been around these a lot longer than I have!

Currently I have the carbs in a box, bagged up. The last owner bought that tank which is from another model year, but I'm pretty sure the seat is original and in good shape. The wiring is cracked, needs to be redone. The ignition is.. not on the bike. the brakes aren't hooked up, as evidenced by looking at the handlebars. Also, no battery. The chain is rusted out. The tires need to be replaced.

All in all. a good barn find in my opinion, at least for what I got it for. My plan is to get it running then worry about cosmetics. Any tips you hv

(cont) any tips you have would be appreciated. Thanks!

I love the look of those silencers (mufflers) very reminiscent of the BSA Bantam, from the mid 60's! Have fun getting your old girl, going! Don't forget if you get stuck on anything, there isalways someone on here, who can help with advice! and Welcome to the Mad House! (Otherwise known as the Forum!)

Merlin

The build date and vin# will tell what it is. It looks like a 78-E if the build date is 77. It would be nice to see one get restored back to factory as not many are around. I posted a few pics of a stock 78-E bikes. Which was not easy to find.
1978-yamaha-xs400-special-blue-classic-vintage-xs-400-cafe-ahrma-78-1.jpg 1978-yamaha-xs400-xs-400-twin-motorcycle-2300-low-miles-original-example-2.jpg 1978-yamaha-xs400-xs-400-twin-motorcycle-2300-low-miles-original-example-3.jpg

I believe the XS360's were the only ones to get that decal on the boxy tank.
Might be a couple litres less capacity than the rounded tanks but more "retro" looking.

Looks like a fun project. You're off to a good start by reading older build threads. Lots of great info.
Heed all the warnings.

Back