First oil change!

Brian

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Just got my first xs400 from north dakota and im in texas. The original owner said something about changing the oil to a thicker one because of climate/atmospher change. I'm brand new to mechanics/motorcycles (never even changed oil for a car), but want to start learning now. What kind of oil would you guys recommend and how much does the xs400 take? And any other relevant advice would be greatly appreciated. Trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks

I have used Shell Rotella T in 15w40 and so far, so good. Others use 20w50. Use either a motorcycle specific oil or a "heavy duty" oil for diesels. Oils compatible with newer cars have friction modifiers that can cause the wet clutch in these bikes to slip. My bike has "2000ccs" cast into the engine cover near the oil filler, so start there and then adjust with the dipstick. For the first oil change, change the filter and [clean] the sump screen. After that, I only take the screen out every other change.

Last edited:
20w50; 20 is the lower range, 50 is the upper range

A lighter weight lower range should make starting easier when it is very cold, but very few people actually drive a motorcycle when it is very cold.

A heavier upper range should maintain proper viscosity (resistance to flow, or thickness if you want to get totally unscientific) in hot environments.

So, what should you use? I'd ask other locals or maybe even the techs at a local dealer parts counter. 20w60 or something like that would be my random, unsubstantiated guess.

Oh, and the bike takes 2000cc of oil if you're NOT changing the filter. If you ARE changing the filter it is something like 2300cc or 2.3 liters. Just dump in 2 liters and check the level; add more until you get the proper level.

Lighter weight (5w30) didn't just cause my clutch to slip; it leaks past the piston rings!

I am a new owner to a 1981 version, love the bike but fear the beast spouts oil now ever since I changed the oil and filter. I have a manual, think I put the filter, spring and cap back on correctly, and yet there's a leak coming from.... well, it's hard to tell. Anybody have a clear diagram of the filter cap arrangement, or thoughts about obvious places to check for leaks?

20w60 or something like that would be my random, unsubstantiated guess.

Yeah I've seen this 20W60 on the shelves recently. You might be on to something BC. For an air cooled, rocker head twin in a Texas summer this might be a good thing. Has anyone tried it in our engines?

Ljursik - did you replace the oil drain plug crush washer? How about the two I rings on the filter? My suggestion is to clean the motor thoroughly so you can determine where the oil is coming from. Simple green sprayed directly on a medium warm motor (perhaps 30 minutes to an hour after a ride that earns the motor all the way up) works well. Wet the motor with warm water, spray on 100% simple green top dirty area, let sit a few moments, then scrub and rinse. After the motor is clean, allow to dry. If it us not already apparent where the oil is leaking, then run the motor a few minutes while you look for the leak.

Once you determine where the leak is, you can begin the process of fixing the problem.

20w60 sounds nice. Haven't seen it around

For most of us I can say we use Shell rotella T6 synthetic 10-40 unless the summer is extremely warm then I will change to high viscosity oil like 20-50.I haven't seen the 20w60 oil yet is that dino or synthetic.I have been told by an oil expert that with synthetic oil you don't as high viscosity oil.I like the Shell T6 so much I run it in my truck also.

Hi everyone, I recently bought a 80' xs400 s from my grandfather with just over 5k on the bike. I've put just about 3000 on the bike since i've bought it and its past time to change the oil.
I picked up 2 1L bottles of Castrol SAE 20w50 motorcycle oil but frankly, I have no clue how to change it. I know I need to replace the filer maybe? I just need help from people who have done it before and can teach me some tips or pointers.. This is my first Motorcycle and I love it, I wanna learn how to do everything myself without having a Yamaha dealer rob me of all my cash. Changing the oil today so anything helps. Thanks again.

Hiya Kyle, welcome to the forum :)

1.) get yourself a manual as they are invaluable! Either purchase or download, I got one from a kind fellow member on here.
2. Read section on changing oil and filter. Will be plenty of pictures so you can hopefully see what bit is what.
3. Search this forum and general internet for motorcycle oil change guide.
4. Look at your bike and walk through in your head how to do it from above research.
5. Then ask specific questions if there's anything you need advice on ;)

:thumbsup:

No offence meant just this you'll really learn it and get the most satisfaction when it's all done :)

Will do. Ill update later with what I've figured out and, what still might need to be done. Id rather learn it hands on so in the future Ill have a rough understanding of what to do with the bike or any for that matter! Thanks again.

Back