First project bike. Need suggestions

Nick Calipetro

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Just had some questions about interchangeable parts. I’m looking to replace a lot of things and I’m not sure about aftermarket. I’ll post a few pictures so that you guys can see. I want to replace the front shock fork (triple tree seems fine), the speedometer, trackometer, the head light, tail light, signal lights, and I would love to put a drag bar on it. I’ll probably take this cheap after market seat and have the shell reapolstered. I’m obsessed with the spoke wheels, but haven’t looked into that yet. My dad restores cars so the body work/paint is covered. Fire away with suggestions. Ready to piece this thing back together for summer.
-Nick

Attachments

• 172F36E3-A90F-449F-81CD-71B19962FE8F.jpeg
    172F36E3-A90F-449F-81CD-71B19962FE8F.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 203
  • 77A54836-F156-4BE8-B3C5-415E6096520E.jpeg
    77A54836-F156-4BE8-B3C5-415E6096520E.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 227
  • 4C0A7DB7-2602-4AF7-A516-D09491B6A4F0.jpeg
    4C0A7DB7-2602-4AF7-A516-D09491B6A4F0.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 208
  • D4D9C16B-5A1A-481F-A36C-FA0879B0E00B.jpeg
    D4D9C16B-5A1A-481F-A36C-FA0879B0E00B.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 222
Those forks look pretty clean why change them out? I was going go that rout but by the time you get another et of forks,bearings,brakes to fit it and then a wheel I just don't think its worth it.

I am doing another one now and just purchased some progressive springs and will see how that works. May try and go with a bigger rotor and newer brake caliper but machine work will be needed to make the mounts.

Lights, signals and bars are all cosmetic and there are a bunch of options out there.

Welcome to the forum!
Lots of previous posts about everything you've asked about.

There's only one complete front-end that swaps out but it's hard to find RS125 parts in North America.
You can do individual fork tubes but there will be some fabrication required for wheels and/or brakes.

Handlebars are 22mm or 7/8". Aftermarkets are pretty common.
Various aftermarket speedos can be used. If you keep the stock wheel and speedometer cable you need to match the speedometer ratio, or you can use one that utilizes an aftermarket sensor setup.

You could get tapered bearings for the front fork and its worth it to rebuild them and replace the oil that probably isnt in them. You could cut about 1 inch off the fork springs and get it lower. I cut more off but i have another set i can switch over.

You have some good bones to work with. What is wrong with the front forks? I am sure you have a "look" in your head already, just go with it. Like the sculptor says " I just chipped away everything that didn't look like what I was carving!" Loads of options and a ton of GREAT advice from very knowledgeable people here in this forum. Use the resources available from threads in the search option. Welcome, and good luck!!

The forks leak really bad I found a video on how to change the seals I’ll have to get into it this weekend

They are pretty easy really. Just make sure to pull the retainer ring before trying to pull the seals out......I use a harbor freight tire spoon for pulling seals it works great. Also protect the top of the forks.

Oh yea its coming back to me now.. Getting those seals out was a pain and you need a big socket to tap the new one in so it sits flush. Theres a washer that needs to be seated facing the right direction too. Theres a number of people whove used heavier oil for a stiffer feel on the front end also. The tapered fork bearings can be had at Allballsracing.com and I think this upgrade is pretty much a requirement along with the bronze swingarm bushings. The stock headlight works fine in most situations and a lot of my riding occurs in the middle of the night (working 3rd shift) on dark unlit wooded backroads and unlit highways.

I would look into getting a fork brace or at least the bracket for the front fender. Thatll tighten things up a bit.

Search the forum for manuals. There are a bunch listed. You could also buy the Haynes manual just remember to look up for your year bike as there are differences between years.

Back