First XS400 Project

l4ne4

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got my first xs400 project after deciding to dump my cb750 project (it needed too much work and everyone has one!). I got this from a guy who said it was his winter project last year, not sure if he made it better or worse. It runs and I drove it about 45 minutes home after buying it. The brakes are terrible and dont really stop the bike, I could only get it to third or fourth gear, it needs all new cables... it wasnt a fun ride (yet it was at the same time!)

Pictures...
IMG_20121021_154306.jpg

100_1166.jpg

Leaky valve gasket?
IMG_20121024_101326.jpg

IMG_20121024_101334.jpg

IMG_20121024_101352.jpg

Looks like he tried to fix another leak...
IMG_20121024_101416.jpg

The starter button broke so he "fixed" it by wiring in another button, he also put streetglow lights under the tank :doh:
IMG_20121024_102015.jpg

I took the battery out after seeing all of this mess. He used wire for speakers (i think) for his negative (from motor to battery).

The wheels are in great condition! Should clean up very easily, the back one is just greasy
IMG_20121024_101342.jpg

I am hoping to turn it into somewhat of a tracker/cafe style bike but mainly just want to get it driving great! I will appreciate any help when I start working on the bike, I am sure I will have a lot of questions.

The leaks look like you need a alternator gasket and tach seal. I also see you have no mufflers on it:doh: Get a manual and start reading:thumbsup: Welcome to the forum.

Yes, it was a very loud ride home. Exhaust is on the list.

Could you tell anything from the oil on top of the motor? Valve cover gasket?

Also, where can I get new brake cables? Only source I found so far is yamaha.

Is there a way I get get rid of the handlebar dampener/risers? I would like to go with a direct mount if possible.

Last edited:
The oil leak on the top looks to be from the tach cable oil seal. Mikesxs.net has a lot of good parts for the xs400 ebay is another good place. You could put a set of cafe clip-on handle bars they go right on the fork tubes.

Ah I see what youre saying about the leak. I will look into that!

As for the bars, I think I want MX style. I may go for more of a tracker style then cafe

Hey man, glad to see you started a thread here. I've got a source for custom stainless steel brake cables, but I'm not at my computer at the moment. Talk to me on DTT tomorrow.

Some progress today...

Cut the back end off. I am trying to decide if I want to make a hoop or square it off. The front fender is off for modification too.
IMG_20121025_153801.jpg

Popped this cover off and its naasty! And he used more of that gasket silicone stuff.
IMG_20121025_161220.jpg

Also, I am not getting all of the gears out of this bike. I thought it might be the clutch cable but I dont think it is. What else would cause this?

Found my inspiration for this build...

Also, I am going to order pods and jets soon. My exhaust plans are either going to be straight pipes with baffles welded in or this set of megaphones from MikesXS. Where should I start out with jets? Is there a kit available with different sizes to try? How many different jets do I need?

Thanks for any and all help!

Attachments

• 72558.jpg
    72558.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 444
keep the streetglow lights :thumbsup: With the cleaning you will find the source of the leaks - all of them. One interesting tip I saw, though never used it, was to give it a dusting of talcum powder for hard to locate leak after cleaning. gasket cement/silicone is necessary for the case covers but po could have been a bit neater in cleaning the excess of it. Most of that by the sprocket is prob chain lube but a few places there to check for a leak. For Shifting issue start searching this forum for "shift pawl" and the like. That may need finer adjustment before it wants to find more gears.

keep the streetglow lights :thumbsup: With the cleaning you will find the source of the leaks - all of them. One interesting tip I saw, though never used it, was to give it a dusting of talcum powder for hard to locate leak after cleaning. gasket cement/silicone is necessary for the case covers but po could have been a bit neater in cleaning the excess of it. Most of that by the sprocket is prob chain lube but a few places there to check for a leak. For Shifting issue start searching this forum for "shift pawl" and the like. That may need finer adjustment before it wants to find more gears.

I have heard of that powder trick, sounds like a good idea. I need to clean the engine first so I will do that soon. Thanks for the tip on the pawl, I will look into it!

Does anyone know if there is an 18" drum rear wheel that can easily be used on this bike?

I've got the same year and model - I switched out to Renthal streetfighter bars. They are awesome - essentially they are low dirt bars. I didn't keep the pad on the cross bar, though.

As for the handlebar dampers - I would recommend pulling them, boiling, and then soaking them in armoral. Mine felt loose when I first got the bike because they had shrunk due to age. Now they just do what they are suppose to do - which is to lessen vibration. Before I did the heat and armoral to the rubber, I couldn't really see anything in my rear views

Just because its dirty? I havent checked in there too good yet but im sure its not pretty.

See those wires on the left that go into the stator case cover, follow them under the oil pressure sensor (triangle piece with the 3 screws in it) and i'm sure you will see where the wires are worn away. It already looks like they are starting to frey in the corner there.

See those wires on the left that go into the stator case cover, follow them under the oil pressure sensor (triangle piece with the 3 screws in it) and i'm sure you will see where the wires are worn away. It already looks like they are starting to frey in the corner there.

You were right. I checked and they are frayed. How did everything still work?

I took the battery box, air boxes and carbs off today and just found more disappointing things from the previous owner. Anyways... is this supposed to be blocked off like it is?
IMG_20121030_132626.jpg

I also took the pipes off, broke one stud and found out im going to need new pipes. This is where I stopped for the day.
IMG_20121030_133114.jpg

Back