First XS400 Project

Nice project! Mine still in pieces and I am currently in need of new bearings and tires.

Thanks. Its a little annoying finding all the little things the PO did to this thing. But its motivating me to keep going until everything is fixed!

follow them under the oil pressure sensor (triangle piece with the 3 screws in it)
the "triangle piece" is the neutral sensor. The oil pressure is taken from the sensor at the bottom of the crank case under the stator cover. Bottom/middle of the foto.

the "triangle piece" is the neutral sensor. The oil pressure is taken from the sensor at the bottom of the crank case under the stator cover. Bottom/middle of the foto.

Excuse my ignorant questions but what are the other wires for? If I am getting rid of the neutral light then I dont need to fix the wires at the "triangle piece" right?

There is only one wire at the neutral sensor. You don t need it if you don t have a neutral light.
Another single wire is for the oil pressure sensor.
The rest of the wires down there are comming from the stator / rotor and go to the rectifier and voltage regulator.

Thanks for the help. I will clean that out soon and see what needs fixed. Its pretty nasty in there, not even sure how to start cleaning it. I was thinking a cleaner that foams, I have to replace wires anyway so I am not really worried about damaging those.

The last one I opened. You can see the oil pressure sensor at the bottom but the interesting thing is the sprocket:D

main.php

Decided to take the harness out today, I hate wires. and there are a lot that need fixed. I really want to simplify the harness too. I am not running a tach, the neutral light, the turn signal light so I want to take those wires out.

IMG_20121102_101159.jpg

This is where I left the bike today

IMG_20121102_130115.jpg

Last edited:
Just called a local shop to see if they had any parts for a xs400. They have an almost complete motor from a 78. Would this work in my 81?

Yep but you will have to swap over the charging system and the ignition as well to work with your tci.

I would leave the neutral light if anything its a good thing to have:wink2:

I would leave the neutral light if anything its a good thing to have:wink2:

If I can find little LED's and figure out where to put them I will probably keep neutral and oil.

After I get my frame finished (coated, detabbed) and the new engine in, I want to mock everything up and get it ready to wire. I am thinking about ditching the starter and going kick only, for simplicity. However, I wouldnt mind the EStarter... if I can get away with a smaller battery. I am no good when it comes to electrical work, I can wire things together but when it comes to getting everything I need to complete the install, I am useless.

A: What battery will work if I KEEP the E-Starter? Is this ok?
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-custom-motorcycle-electronics-parts-medium-12v-sealed-agm-battery-78-0709.html

B: What will it take to go no E-Starter? If I have to run a smaller battery for just my lights (turns/brake will be LED, headlight will be stock), which one?

Thanks for any help! If there are any tech articles about this that would help too.

Back