First XS400

Things are looking good! I wish I was in the position to buy one of those small case batteries, they go a long ways towards cleaning up the look!

I bought a 12v ProStart powersport Pepboys brand battery. Its a 120cca agm. I only bought it to sort out my electrical and lighting until its ready for the battery i wanted. It seems like it has decent power and i am able to tuck it with a minimal exposure under the seat. I have decided to use it so i can put some miles on the bike before Winter and then id like to rebuild the wire harness. Theres a ton of extra wiring on these bikes. But I think the battery was $60 out the door.

I should also add that im running the stock filters for now so most of that will be covered for the time being.

I bought a 12v ProStart powersport Pepboys brand battery. Its a 120cca agm. I only bought it to sort out my electrical and lighting until its ready for the battery i wanted. It seems like it has decent power and i am able to tuck it with a minimal exposure under the seat. I have decided to use it so i can put some miles on the bike before Winter and then id like to rebuild the wire harness. Theres a ton of extra wiring on these bikes. But I think the battery was $60 out the door.

I should also add that im running the stock filters for now so most of that will be covered for the time being.

Yes I agree on the wiring........I am going to go minimal when it comes time to wire this thing up.........

Got a little time tonight and picked up a few more parts.......kind of liking where it is going as I was no sure on all the black but when I put the gloss black tank on well it all came together.........the factory H pipe works to so am happy with that one. Picked up some Unis and I like the way they look.

Also added another motor mount as the frame didn't have it on there..........

IMG_3922.JPG
IMG_3923.JPG
IMG_3927.JPG
IMG_3928.JPG
IMG_3922.JPG
IMG_3923.JPG
IMG_3927.JPG
IMG_3928.JPG

Can you make my seat pan as well.
It's coming together nicely.

Thanks!

I am sure I could.......I just bought a Tuffside seat so it was done already. I just made the frame to match.

Not a lot done today but did cut up the stock fender and kind of like the way it looks. I figured I would need a fork brace or just modify what I had......also took the battery box back to work and modified it a little.......a few more inches of clearance from the rear wheel.

IMG_3930.JPG
IMG_3929.JPG
IMG_3931.JPG

Ok electrical gurus I have a question and am sure I will have a lot more as I start to wire this thing :redface: I am decent with mechanical things but wiring I am not really familiar with.

Question one after reading a lot on line on simple wiring no where is there an ignition module in the pics? Wondering since I found that my motor has the Pamco on it do I even need that module? I know I need a rectifier/regulator though. Trying to make this as simple as possible and just run the bare minimum on wiring.

I am just planning this out and still collecting parts so any and all info appreciated......Thanks :thumbsup:

Basic pamco ignitions use the stock mechanical advance unit off the cam. So there will not be a "box" or tci controlled advanced unit on it. Make sure the one you have is clean and lubed. If it gets sticky the bike wont advance timing well or at all. Pamco did make another HD version of the system with a TCI controlled advance box which eliminates the stock mechanical one.

Basic pamco ignitions use the stock mechanical advance unit off the cam. So there will not be a "box" or tci controlled advanced unit on it. Make sure the one you have is clean and lubed. If it gets sticky the bike wont advance timing well or at all. Pamco did make another HD version of the system with a TCI controlled advance box which eliminates the stock mechanical one.

Thanks and I figured I would be good just running the Rec/Reg only.

Those are for charging.

Yes understand that but was wondering what the ignition module under the battery box controls ? If not running the factory points is it needed ?

I want the littlest amount of clutter on this thing.

If the Pamco is working then yes, you can remove the stock TCI unit.
Hang on to it or sell it, just don't throw it out. They're getting harder to find.

If the Pamco is working then yes, you can remove the stock TCI unit.
Hang on to it or sell it, just don't throw it out. They're getting harder to find.

Thanks! and I don't throw much away :rolleyes: I have a collection from 3 bikes now and boxes of parts lying around..........

The 78 never came with a tci ignition. Post a pic of the box you found on it.

The 78 never came with a tci ignition. Post a pic of the box you found on it.

Well it may have just been on there as this bike had so many miss matched parts on it.......and to be honest I thought I put it in the right box but I may have not done that.....I have 3 bikes to make 1 so a lot of parts. Two were a TCI and one was points but had the Pamco in it.

Here is the box
IMG_3943.jpg
sitting on an extra motor..........

But after reading I am sure I can just wire up a simple set up and with the Pamco it should work.

Looks like someone drilled some holes in it. You may want to open it up to see what damage was done.

Looks like someone drilled some holes in it. You may want to open it up to see what damage was done.

Yeah I think when they mounted the reg/ rec under it they just drilled right on through. Some people just don't look I guess. The bike was in pretty bad shape and a lot of hacks were done on it.

4R4 model, is off the 81 SH model

I actually have 2 of those 4R4 models in the garage. I think I mixed things up :rolleyes: I did find a battery box that had nothing on it so maybe that one came of the 78 that the motor came out of.

I am going to run with the 78 motor and rebuild the 81 motor this winter. It has a few issues now.

Back