First XS400

Well I was informed last night that this bike is my wifes :laugh2: she said I want it..................great now I need to find another one.......Happy wife happy life right ?

I wanted a 650 so maybe I can find one of those cheap............

Off to work in the morning as I am changing a few things again........I swear if I could just keep on a straight line it might go a little easier.......

A good 10 hours today tinkering and well I feel like I got nothing done :rolleyes: went to work and modified the battery box to fit all the goodies........also built a mount for the headlight as I had a side mount but didn't like the way it looked.......now may build another one as I think this one sticks out a little to far (my anal side kills me sometimes :laugh2:) also cut out the front seat mount on the frame as it took up to much room. Built a mount and it worked out pretty good to hold the seat down. Also fabbed up a rear mount so I had a place for the rear LED strip. I didn't want t o just stick it to the frame and was trying to figure out a rear fender but never could find anything I liked so this seemed to fit the bill and looks decent to me.

IMG_3955.JPG
IMG_3956.JPG
IMG_3957.JPG
IMG_3958.JPG
IMG_3960.JPG

Now the fun of wiring begins.........................

A good 10 hours today tinkering and well I feel like I got nothing done :rolleyes: went to work and modified the battery box to fit all the goodies........also built a mount for the headlight as I had a side mount but didn't like the way it looked.......now may build another one as I think this one sticks out a little to far (my anal side kills me sometimes :laugh2:) also cut out the front seat mount on the frame as it took up to much room. Built a mount and it worked out pretty good to hold the seat down. Also fabbed up a rear mount so I had a place for the rear LED strip. I didn't want t o just stick it to the frame and was trying to figure out a rear fender but never could find anything I liked so this seemed to fit the bill and looks decent to me.

View attachment 30126 View attachment 30127 View attachment 30128 View attachment 30129 View attachment 30130

Now the fun of wiring begins.........................
This looks better each time you show I

This looks better each time you show I

Thanks! Waiting on some loom material so I can hide the wires. Next weekend hopefully can start wiring things up. Also need to soak the chain and see if I can get some life back in it. Did not look to bad when I pulled it so I think there is hope for it. I really don't want to replace it....

If you replaced the sprockets you need to replace the chain. If they are all old and you don't know the miles on them you should replace them all. With all the work you have done it would be a waste to have a chain break and mess things up.

If you replaced the sprockets you need to replace the chain. If they are all old and you don't know the miles on them you should replace them all. With all the work you have done it would be a waste to have a chain break and mess things up.

Well maybe a 15K on them and it all was working together when pulled. Chain came apart pretty easy and was not rusted that bad. How many miles do they usually go for ?

I am sure I could replace them hell into this thing for an arm and a leg already :D

When in doubt, toss them out. That a lot of miles for a set. If you had a plated chain and took very good care of them you may get that many on a set. But yours most likely are/were not.

When in doubt, toss them out. That a lot of miles for a set. If you had a plated chain and took very good care of them you may get that many on a set. But yours most likely are/were not.

So new chain and sprockets ? or just the chain ? I saw sprockets were not that bad on price from Mikes.

It's an 81? Should be able to go tubeless, no?

Frame is an 81 and all the parts on it are mostly off a 78 that I had also. I couldn't get a title for the 78 so a titled 81 frame now becomes the bike. I wanted the disc brakes rather than the drums anyway.

Been 100 plus here the past week................hell it feels like it :D but this is the NW its supposed to rain.................anyway not much work was done.............but did get to play last night till the wee early morning........got a little bit of wiring done and the controls are finished.............waiting for an order from Mikes for new sprockets and chain...........thanks Chris :laugh2: you said change all at once............biggest thing with Mikes is free shipping at 150 and well I was at 110 and shipping was 35........so I had to find more parts.........so a few extras coming with the new sprockets and chain :rolleyes:

a few pics of the evening.............funny thing is the stuff on the bars cost more than the bike :lmao:

IMG_3977.JPG
IMG_3978.JPG
IMG_3976.JPG
IMG_3979.JPG

Love the motogadget stuff also....................has worked out great so far.

Love how this bike is coming out!
100° I would be on the boat.

Thanks!

I was going to go today but the kids said nope we don't want to go..................plus my mom needed a hand so was out doing that.

Tonight is beer night and ordering parts off amazon :D I ran out of wire loom............I tried to order early.........

Hopefully once the chain shows I can get the electrical finished..........still need to wire up the electronics part. Plus finish the outgoing part of the M unit.......hell all lights wok so I know I am good.

This has been a very impressive build in a short time. As if I didn't feel inadequate enough as it is.:wink2:

Thanks! but not perfect :D I call it the 10 footer it looks great from there........once you get close enough there are imperfections........its my first build so I figured it wouldn't be perfect. But I am anal and that kills me at times....

New sprockets and chain tomorrow and tonight was finish up the wiring kind of.......got everything but the electronics done. Need the chain on so I can rout the wires away from it. Lights work, starter fires and coils are all wired up.

Maybe try and fire it this weekend if I can get the exhaust on and the rest of the wiring done.

IMG_3982.JPG
IMG_3981.JPG

Back