First XS400

Spectra, everything you have done looks first rate to me! You took the high road on many of your choices and ill have a great, solid and dependable motorcycle when you are done. She looks super to me, that is for sure!

Well we have spark!!!!!!!!!!! but no gas and still things to do so maybe this weekend I will see if it fires off.

Put the chain and new sprockets on and think I was one link shy on it.........I am pretty much all the way at the end of the frame and adjusters are just about 5 threads in and chain has the 3/4 just like the book said. At least I have plenty of room to tighten it down........

Well we have spark!!!!!!!!!!! but no gas and still things to do so maybe this weekend I will see if it fires off.

Put the chain and new sprockets on and think I was one link shy on it.........I am pretty much all the way at the end of the frame and adjusters are just about 5 threads in and chain has the 3/4 just like the book said. At least I have plenty of room to tighten it down........
MIne was really tight too. I counted links and ordered the exact size. Gave me a tough time getting it on but it was perfect once I did.

A little more done today..................have working brakes and the exhaust is sort of done.......need to get some better clamps for the wrap......all I need is a couple of plug wires and add some fuel now.....

Last pic is Jr and Sr :D the 1100 just dwarfs this thing............
IMG_4001.JPG
IMG_4002.JPG
IMG_4003.JPG

A little more done today..................have working brakes and the exhaust is sort of done.......need to get some better clamps for the wrap......all I need is a couple of plug wires and add some fuel now.....

Last pic is Jr and Sr :D the 1100 just dwarfs this thing............View attachment 30268 View attachment 30269 View attachment 30270
I love how small the 400's are. I can't wait to see what mine feels like with the weight reduction it's been through.

When reducing weight keep in mind the spring rates for the bike. When I dropped 80+lbs from one of my bikes the stock springs where way too stiff. Every bump in the road just about knocked me off the bike. I added about 50 lbs back to it and it rides far better. I could have paid up for better shocks but by that time the style of bike I had made it was not my cup of tea anymore.

When reducing weight keep in mind the spring rates for the bike. When I dropped 80+lbs from one of my bikes the stock springs where way too stiff.

I could have paid up for better shocks but by that time the style of bike I had made it was not my cup of tea anymore.

Excellent advice! I'll likely opt for a lighter spring for my build or I could make up the difference by packing on some more pounds myself although I'd rather not go that route. But pizza and beer do sound good right about now.

As far as preference changes. It's funny how that happens. Some bikes I used to love and cannot stand now. Others I used to hate, but now find georgous. I was originally going to cafe my bike. Then I was going to do a hybrid classic cafe using some modern bits. But I finally settled on a mostly retro GP bike clone. Who knows, by the time I get done it may end up being a Honda 350four!!

When reducing weight keep in mind the spring rates for the bike. When I dropped 80+lbs from one of my bikes the stock springs where way too stiff. Every bump in the road just about knocked me off the bike. I added about 50 lbs back to it and it rides far better. I could have paid up for better shocks but by that time the style of bike I had made it was not my cup of tea anymore.
Same thing happened to my buddy. He took about 50lbs off His bike and now feels like he is getting kicked in the butt by the entire football team on each ride

Came home today and made new plug wires and added an old tank to try and get it running.......cranked a few times and forgot I added a kill switch.....flipped it and bang it started up.......not great but it ran and idled. I need to get some packing in the baffles as its way to loud for me :D wife said that was the little one.....

Weekend duties include adjust the valves and do the timing......hopefully can get it all buttoned up this weekend. Also need to sinc the carbs.

Came home today and made new plug wires and added an old tank to try and get it running.......cranked a few times and forgot I added a kill switch.....flipped it and bang it started up.......not great but it ran and idled. I need to get some packing in the baffles as its way to loud for me :D wife said that was the little one.....

Weekend duties include adjust the valves and do the timing......hopefully can get it all buttoned up this weekend. Also need to sinc the carbs.
You've gotten a couple steps ahead of me! Motor is ready to go back in but I am unable to do it myself. Busy schedule this week musically too. Hoping Sunday to find a couple strong relatives to help lift it in!!!

Ok got it out and had a blast............only for a short wile but it was fun anyway. Issue now I this thing sounds like an old John Deer :( I adjusted the valves and yes messed up.......I used the wrong gauges :redface: figured it out and adjusted them a couple more times........fired it up and wow........so let it cool off and checked it again and re adjusted just for shits and giggles.......still sounds off to me but have seen a few videos that sound the same to me. Maybe its just me since this is my first 400 SOHC motor.......does this sound right to people?

Sorry for holding the phone wrong ;)

Also snapped a few pics of it now that it is kind of finished......still need to figure out a horn and the license plate.

IMG_4024.JPG
IMG_4025.JPG
IMG_4026.JPG
IMG_4027.JPG

Last edited:
That don't sound too bad. 20w-50 bike oil? Also make sure when setting valves that you don't let the motor rotate back when lining up TDC. Otherwise it will put slack in the cam chain giving you a bad adjustment. Also adjust the valves from left to right.

That don't sound too bad. 20w-50 bike oil? Also make sure when setting valves that you don't let the motor rotate back when lining up TDC. Otherwise it will put slack in the cam chain giving you a bad adjustment. Also adjust the valves from left to right.

Ok thanks! to me it sounds like a box of rocks :D

Yes on the 20w 50 as I read a few posts on here that recommended it. I also added a little lucas stabilizer to it.

Oh I read I don't know how many posts on here about timing :laugh2: I used the chord to hold the wrench like a few posts stated. First time I did not and well came around the bike to see it had moved after going to the right side.......and yes did the left first then the right.

Pretty much finished except the license plate and a horn.........made a plate holder at work today but my degree was off a little so back to work to re do it.......also need a mirror any suggestions for a simple small one that doesn't stand out? I hate things hanging off the bars.......

Have had it out for a few runs and love the thing.......wish the rockers weren't so loud but I guess that's the price we pay with the SOHC engines.......

Once its totally done the wife is taking it over :laugh2: but I am sure I will be wrenching on it...............

IMG_4041.JPG

If you have not already I would replace the rocker adjustment screws. If yours has any pits or bad wear it will give you a bad adjustment. Set the valves cold and at .004 intake and .007 exhaust.

If you have not already I would replace the rocker adjustment screws. If yours has any pits or bad wear it will give you a bad adjustment. Set the valves cold and at .004 intake and .007 exhaust.

Will check it out next time I pull the tank. I am probably going to freshen the motor up this winter so hopefully can get it to quiet down some.

Back