Flasher relay / blinker switch question

jsmith2

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I just stepped into a new world. I purchased an '81 xs400 Special last week. This is my first bike and it needs a little love. First step in the project is to put blinkers back on it. I had to purchase a new relay as the original owner ripped the old one out. With the new relay in I still couldn't get the blinkers to do anything. I took the tank off so I could inspect all the wiring and make sure he didn't cut anything else. Everything looks fine. I decided to take apart the handlebar switch and come to find out the brown and white striped wire was disconnected from the switch. This is one of the three wires that connects to the relay. Can anyone tell me what exactly this wire does? Is there a way to reinstall it back into the switch or am I going to need to buy a whole new switch? With a new switch what would be the equivalent wire to this "brown and white" wire? Thanks for any help! This is all new to me!

You'll need to reconnect it. It brings power from the flasher relay to the switch.
If I recall they're all soldered on. Should be able to reconnect.

Depending on the aftermarket flasher relay you may need to remove the autocanceller unit and reroute the flasher relay ground, either by jumpering the yellow/green and black wires in the canceller connector OR rerouting the yellow/green wire from the flasher socket to the frame or another ground.

Make sure you grab the various manuals available from the threads at the top of The Garage.

Back