Fork oil fill

short1

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Can I just fill the forks through the bolt holes on the bottom? Forks are off, top plugs are corroded, don't want to fight with them.

Yes but you might as well replace the fork seals and pull it all apart and clean. It is hard to say how many years it has been since they have been cleaned........plus its good to inspect all the parts. No fighting them either just push down on the cap and release the small clip that holds them in and they pop right out.

A trick is sort of found out getting the fork caps off:

You can use a 3 jaw gear puller and mount it on the top fork brace, then you can tighten down on the cap and youll be able to release the clip..

I had a lot of trouble getting the cap pressed down far and long enough to be able to eject the clip. Its a real pain. Then I grabbed my puller and did it like that

I just filled from the bottom hole with a piece of tube and a syringe. I had already replaced the fork seals, just wasnt sure if it would be a problem, thanks!

From what you stated in your first post you had not removed the spring caps. That's how you take them apart. It's also the best way to fill them and get all the old oil out and clean everything. If you have done this recently you should be good. There is a plastic ring that is on the dampening rod that can be replaced, but if you had them apart before you should have noticed if it was in good shape then .

Back