Fork springs progressive

akirasan

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi,

as the title I am after a set of stiffer springs.

Anyone in the uk supply??

Hagon cannot so does anyone know the width of the springs?

XS402e 1977

thanks

Well no has an answer.
I did some checking and found 2 types of Progressive springs that should fit but are longer.
No company can supply exactly the correct length.
So I did an old proddy racer trick and one I did on my LC250 I found some old clutch springs.
I used the thickest and strongest ones I had removed the original spring dropped the clutch spring into
the forks replaced the original spring and forced the spring down and fitted the cap.
It is a lot harder now. I need to change a fork seal and will see how they feel on the road and maybe put more/thicker oil in
A cheap free fix.
11-1109
11-1115
Are the Progressive part numbers

Good forum this poster answer their own questions!

So did the above changed a fork seal and put in 200cc of 15w.

Now no more soggy front end

Stock fluid would be 20w with 142cc per leg. I have never had any problems with fork diving or weak springs. If you grab the front brake too hard you can get this effect. Sorry you didn't get an answer, most don't need this change for the bikes.

The original springs are soft I suspect very original.
They are the correct length and stick above the fork leg.
No one will supply springs and ones I found 22mm width are longer
so would be harder to push down and could become coil bound.
15w was available locally and need it asap it works great with the old clutch springs
Maybe 20w would be ok with normal springs but I am a heavy guy and they dive too easily.

I’ve often got round this problem by measuring the sag when you move the bike off stand onto the wheels. Then make up a steel spacer the same diameter as the springs of about half the sag. So if sag is 70mm, spacer is 39 to 40 mm. Then put it in with the spring on next rebuild
Have done this with a Triumph T100R (1966, 1973) and Ducati M900 1992. Worked great both times and cheap as chips.

Back