Fork tubes anyone try these?

NewHavenMike

1976 XS360C
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Wow I wish I saw this.............I had a few rusted forks and well gone now....................

I picked up my last set off ebay for 70 shipped and bot one pit in them........hard to find good forks now and days............

It seems Yamaha forks are always the bad ones too. Both my 360 and 400 had pitted forks. I did pick up a used set for my 360 but they still have some issues with light pitting that caused a leak. On the other hand, my 1980 CB650 that hasn't been run in years still has nice shiny fork tubes..

I think this ad/seller is fairly new because I never seen it before and Im always searching the classifieds here or EBay for stuff I may need in the future, with all my bikes.

Im going to pull the trigger on a set and see what happens. I did see a couple bad reviews about fitment issues, but that seems acceptable considering the seller has thousands of feedback reports.

Can anyone recall the length of the 360 forks vs the 400? I thought I remember the 360s being slightly smaller than 560mm?? I cant remember if I compared the two or not when I picked up the used set last time.

UPDATE: Well, I just received the fork tubes via DHL. I was very surprised to receive them before the Winter season based on my past dealings with DHL.

These tubes look great, they have good weight to them and have a very clean finish. Packaging was adequate and they were sealed and wrapped with the anti rust paper. All the machining marks line up with my old forks from my 360, inside and out.

They are 400 fork tubes so they do have about 1 inch over the 360s.

diameter is 32.92mm from the bottom, middle, and top. So if my caliper is accurate, that would make them .003" undersize. The forks installed on my bike measure at 3.92-3.94mm at the area above the fork seal.. So I dont think that is an issue.

I have not installed them yet so there still could be a fitment issue with the guts.. I have to say that this does look promising..

16DC3886-5F9E-4C89-8A34-6451108014B6.jpeg
9D058524-7A68-416C-88D2-249EDBE4B35F.jpeg
1F6254B4-4BAD-4D8C-9D53-EAD2814011B6.jpeg

Sounds promising.
I wonder if it'd be too hard for a machinist to shorten them. Just needs a recess and a few grooves inside for the inner cap.
Might be easier to modify the innards.

I am just going to leave them the same length. I have the 400 tubes on my bike now. Im going to try and see what I can come up with for shorter springs. The ones I have now, I cut about 2.5 inches off and they are garbage. I have a spare set of springs though.

If I knew someone that had a swiss style lathe or some other type of feed-through manual lathe, Id do that in a heartbeat, but my home machinist only has a bridgeport mill. The suspension would sit lower and still have travel and better load.

It would take 5 minutes to take off the length and cut new grooves inside the tube.

I forgot about the springs though. I cant remember which ones I ended up using and cut up. If I still have the 360 springs, there may be an issue with proper load.

Back