french xs400

the tank looks cool man. :)

but i'd say it depends on what you plan to use the bike for.
Is it for commuting short distances or to go on long rides wherever your bike may take you?

The tank i'm planning to use right now is also 7 liters, it's not that far between gas stations here, so I think i will be ok. plus it will mainly be for riding short distances.
But I've had the same concern as you.
In the end, if it looks cool, it's probably worth it. ;)

if you want comfort and easy travelling take the car or a train. :)

but i'd say it depends on what you plan to use the bike for.
Is it for commuting short distances or to go on long rides wherever your bike may take you?
I live near the sea, I will mainly use the summer to enjoy myself on the journey rather short when the sun is shinning ;-) . I would go sometimes at work and it is about 75kms AR

it's not that far between gas stations here
me too and almost every gas station in france was 24/24 with CB

I do about 150 miles before fill up with around 1 gal. remaining. Tank size on mine is 3+ gal., IIRC.
tks, but i don't understand if it's 150miles for 2 gals 3gals?

Niko, what year is the bike? Do you have bs34 carbs? Where did you buy the carb rebuild kit? I am looking for one complete with all of the replacement parts, but many I find only contain a few.

hello,

it's BS34 carbs.

all rebuild kit don't contain the same pieces, i've seen that like you. I've bought my rebuild kit and "membran" on a deutsh website: motorradbay.
http://motorradbay.de/main/yamaha.php#
the 4g5 kit is very complete!
KY0529.jpg

Thank you for the link! What is the wire basket/filter/screen on the bottom of the float needle seat? I have never seen that before.

hello,

Saturday we fixed the tank, and attacked the rear loop and repositioning shock absorbers.
For the coils, they were moved online to the central bar, it's perfect.

weep1.JPG

IMG_8121.JPG

IMG_8130.JPG

IMG_8143.JPG

I think we're on right way...:)

the project is progressing slowly but progress!:)

I got almost all the parts for the painting except the tank and the rear
I received all the pieces paint except the tank and the rear

So I found that my engine is not really center! i saw that when I fixed the carb and pod.
I don't remmember if it's normal ! on this picture you can see what i say.
Is it like tht for your bike? have you picture?
tks

Last edited:
with picture it is better!!:)

P1040077.JPG

P1040080.JPG

P1040090.JPG

this is what i say about centering! Is it the same on your bike?
P1040096.JPG

I found some cleaner for wheels [car]and just spray and scrub with a steel wool pad,sometimes with a Popsicle stick with a piece of wool attached.Came out good,but I'm an old codger[old fart] and can't figure this new fangled stuff.Maybe I can get my 15yr old daughter to show me how to post pics.She told me,but it was like telling an old hound dog how to drive,he just looks at you like You are crazy. lha

Last edited:
some news!
this weekend I had a lot of trouble, at first I was a leak of carbs by the air filter.
I removed a lot of times, made ​​lots of tests, put my old needle valve (though they walked well when I was testing in breath) and finally the leak disappeared.
also, my front brake does not work, the piston moves well but not enought to press against the plates. the lever back so slowly I think. I expect a refection from mc kit (Caliper has already been repackaged with a new gasket). i hope the kit solve my problem!
do you think?

Despite all these problems I still successfully started and do some laps in my street:)

some pictures:

P1040227.JPG

P1040225.JPG

looks wicked niko...I'm diggin' the Mule paint scheme:thumbsup:
I like the slim tank. I have a '75 dt250 tank I'll be throwing on mine for next season...

bc, I have those same float valve seats on mine, so I guess maybe a 1980+ thing....

Tres bon Niko :thumbsup:

Did you make the bracket for the rear light and reg plate? I'm after something similar for my bike, do you have any closer pictures?

Thanks

Back