Front Brake Line Size Check?

Greggy

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings from the latest XS400 Newb!

So... I just scooped up an 82 XS400 project and am focusing on the front end first off (Single disc). I have pretty much everything I need except the front brake cable/line. I am at a loss for sizing. Would a 1100mm (43") cable work or what is the stock size I should get?

Thanks for the help.

Thanks BB - Unfortunately it didn't come with the original cable (missing some parts) - its a Maxim, not sure if its SOHC or DOHC.
I will check out your link.

Best way is to run a string or a small piece of wire from the master on the bars to the caliper and then measure what you have. Also don't forget to add a little or get the front end off the ground so you have full extension of the front end.

Roger that Spectra, thanks.

Welcome! and welcome to the forum.

I know the factory line on my 78 is 38" if I remember right. I ended up going with different lines as they were shot and I also wanted black.

I managed to track down a decent used cable with the Banjo bolts,etc. The size is approx 38"-40" for anyone else who may stumble across this thread.

A used hose is a bad idea. Never cheap out when it come to brakes. Now you know the size have a stainless braided cable made.

A used hose is a bad idea. Never cheap out when it come to brakes. Now you know the size have a stainless braided cable made.

I agree with this one. I had both hoses on my build but decided to just replace both as who knows how old they were and I am guessing factory.........when it comes to stopping don't go cheap......

Fair enough, being able to stop is kind of important. Can you guys recommend a good place to order from? Fortnine maybe? I am on the Westcoast Canada.

Fair enough, being able to stop is kind of important. Can you guys recommend a good place to order from? Fortnine maybe? I am on the Westcoast Canada.

Anyone local to you make them? Not sure if the us suppliers ship to Canada or what? Probably cost a lot if they do.....

FortNine is pretty good.

Locally SG Power probably has the best parts pricing. Action marks up prices a bit....
Victoria Motorcycle Sales off Discovery St might be a good bet.
Adrenaline maybe too. Haven't actually been there yet but was working a block away for the last few months and kept thinking I should stop by....

:agree: fortnine is the place..just enter he make/model/year and the site will show parts that fit...
No shipping charges on orders over 49$

Back