Front caliper issue

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Well first off let me say its been while since I posted here.
2cnd of all I have a problem with my front caliper locking up.
3rd it was rebuilt and totally gone through last year and this year I rebled it.
Went for ride the other day didn't even go mile before it locked up:wtf: what gives?This bike has a history of doing this to me so should I just replace the caliper altogether?

stock rubber line? stock master cylinder? Ever been rebuilt?

If it's the stock line I'd replace it with a new braided one as the rubber degrades and could be sending pieces into your caliper.

Thanks yes it still has the stock line on it.I didn't think to check that thanks for bring it to my attention..I alos forgfot to mention I replaced the front brakes when I rebuilt the caliper.

The braided line is an easy fix. could be as simple as just needs to be bleed again. I had to WD30 my MC this season, cause it was acting all sticky, and not wanting to squeeze right. (granted it is not a a lock up, like aI am assuming your talking about.)

There is a small port in the master cylinder I believe called a splooge hole to equalize the pressure when the brake lever is released. There are threads re this on the forum just don't know how to link them. Worth checking out. Had same problem. Had to replace MC

I said, WD30, I meant WD40, that fixed my issue. Thanks (to link, just highlight the web address, and right click on copy, and then just paste it into the message box. That will auto link the URL. my symptom was jerky pull of the handle, and I had one other issue, that I had to torque caliper bolt down. It was concerning. Now its working great! :)

In my experience, it's not worth it to rebuild a master cylinder. Even after a rebuild the bore may be too pitted to work as well as a new one would.

I would instead just replace it with a new one from ebay for less than the cost of the rebuild kit. Just be sure to check the bore sizes.

Back