Front Caliper slide bolt

Requiem

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I've finished rebuilding my front caliper, but I need a new slide bolt (that is what the manual calls it on p94, pic 5.2a, the part 3 file http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?p=46733#post46733) both because the old one was in a horrible state and I've subsequently misplaced it.
Anyone know where I can get a new one? Or any idea where I can get something suitable as a replacement?

When it comes to the brakes im not sure there are suitable replacements, try ebay, or a Yamaha dealer. There are some cheap replacement calipers on EBAY in the USA 30-60 USD, not sure what model you have or their compatibility between years

I´m really only looking for the bolt, as the caliper has already been rebuilt and should work well... I´m guessing my best bet would be to track down the partsnumber.
From what I can tell it´s number 90105-08092, can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:
I don't think that bolt is any thing special. It goes through and holds a steel sleeve against the caliper mount. The caliper slides on the sleeve.
There isn't much force applied by the bolt. the main force on the caliper is transferred to the two edges the caliper rides on of the bracket. Where the two chrome steel parts Are.
I think if you took you caliper and bracket to a good hardware store you should be able to find one that will work.
A 77 XS400D on boats.net shows a 90105-08145-00 part number. From what I've read the center part of that number is the bolt size, the 08145 means a 8 mm bolt 145 mm long.
Seeing as those are the same brakes as used on the 77 up XS650's I went out and got one out of one of my bikes. The bolt is an 8 mm but from the head to the end of the threads is 150 mm.
They have a washer kinda built on the head. This don't matter much. If you go to the hardware store just get a bolt long enough, but not so long as it protrudes out past the edge of the bracket. If it does protrude a bit that's not so bad, just grind it back a bit.
Leo

Thanks a lot for the help! Really great you actually took a look on your bike for me.

Going to look for a bolt that is 145mm long (excluding the head), which doesn't have thread all the way to the top then. Let's hope my hardware store has one ^^

XSLeo, Thanks again for looking but I figure there might be some small misunderstanding, as the bolt needed is around 50 mm long, not 150 :)
Only m8 bolt of that size my local hardware store sells has thread all the way to the top, but I don't think that'll work well... May have found an original bolt so hopefully the problem's been solved

Back