Front disc upgrade

Rene

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, glad to know there is a forum dedicated to this bike. I just bought a 81' XS400 SE and would like to change the front rotor and maybe the brake lever and pump as well. It's my first bike and a I'm still learning so sorry for my lack of knowledge. Has anybody done this, and if so, what disc will fit the stock caliper? Or if not, what brake setup alternatives are out there. I'm from Europe and if you guys know any good place in Europe to buy aftermarket parts like engine seal and bearing kits I would appreciate it a lot.
Thank you guys.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-09-14 at 21.29.55.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-09-14 at 21.29.55.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 190
As far as I know, there really isn't an easy bolt-on for rotor and caliper.

Typically, people get different forks with the wheel and the whole brake setup.

The stock brake, provided it's functioning correctly, is pretty sufficient. These bikes are light and really not very high-powered.

About the only thing you might run into is your brake master cylinder reservoir plastic going bad. You can replace the master cylinder with any other one that fits the same size bar and has the same bore size (it's cast into it, I think it's 5/8, but don't quote me).

Yeah, I think that I'm going to keep the stock rotor and caliper because they are in pretty good shape from what I can tell. The caliper is not leaking and is functioning correctly.
As far as the cylinder reservoir goes, its in pretty bad shape and could use replacement. I will take it off and look for a compatible replacement.
Thanks a lot for the usefull info!

Back