Front fenders

skillzman1

XS400 Junkie
Reaction score
well my front fender was toast so I tosssed it....now I need some ideas for options since its law to have something there in NY.
Anybody got a decent front kickin around...or know of something else that would fit?
Looks to be about 4.5 inches wide fork-fork.

just kikin it around and ive seen some guys use the metal off a basement window,the thing outsidemaybe it helps water to drain awy from house not sure. but its got some ribs in it could make one with a little mohawk down the center?

I treid your knee dent tank doesnt look neare as good as yours, gave it the ol college try I think iamm going to pull it back off and work it some more i dint put any clear on it, was wandering if you ever tried cutting sheet metal and tacking it in the shape making it a flat side.

I used a fenderbrace of a Suzuki GT750 (fits right on) and an aftermarked cheap Italian fender. Shorted it with a few inches and polished it to a mirror finish. I don't know if the stock fender also has a forkbrace-function though. A few moths ago I bought a Telefix fork-brace at an auction. That completed te setup.
cheers!
DSCN3047Large.jpg

I was thinking maybe it could be stich welded

so you would dent it...then stitch weld a flat panel on?
that would probably work as long as you dont burn thru the tank metal...would need to be pretty low heat setting I dont think the tank metal is very thick...and any non welded sections of the seam might have a tendency to hairline crack thru the filler,depending on the filler used.

yea just not dent as far in, I personally dont like the short round style of the stock tank and was wanting to make appear taller whith flat sides i know change tanks right. maybe stich welding means two diff things to us,i thought you spot welded in say 5 spots hit that spot wed pushing it forward then shift to another one so as not to put to much heat in one spot and risk warpige or burn through, though time consuming

Last edited:
I don't know if you've seen this or not, but I cut down and lowered my stockie:

DSC01157.jpg

DSC01131.jpg

How bad was/ is yours? Once cut down there's not too much to hammer and dollie out. If you are handy with a welder, cutoff wheel and a blowtorch you could make one out of rod or strap steel for the loop and steel or aluminum sheet for the fender proper (you won't be able to get a compound curve without an english wheel though, so it will have to be stubby.

If you are patient you can grind out the support piece from the fender of your stock one and then get a section of bicycle fender and flatten it out a bit and attach it to the stock support.

Just imagine a little bike fender scalp on top of the brace:

brace1.jpg

Good Luck!

yeah I like the way yours looks...but mine was cracked too bad to even save as much as you have there.
I figure somebody around here must be ditching one eventually.

I live in new york and my xs650 has no front fender and the local yamaha dealer passed mine. I don't even have tabs for one anymore.

Back