Frozen clutch

20eyes

XS400 Member
Reaction score
My clutch doesn't seem to want to move. Is it frozen, can this happen? Admittedly I don't have the clutch lever hooked up yet. I've been messing with it manually an it just seems to be stuck solid. New clutch lever and cable in the mail. Can anybody tell me what to expect?

If it's not hooked up to a lever and cable you can't test it/push it in by hand. That's normal.

If your squeezing the clutch handle and its frozen I would likely the cable is frozen with corrosion inside the sleeve.Take some kind of lubricant like wd-40 or a Teflon spray squirt inbetween the sleeve and cable,keep working it till it decides to start working.If that doesn't work Im going to speculate that something internaly is stuck.

He said he does not have a lever hooked up. So I would imagine it has no cable either. I have noticed people trying to push the clutch rod in by hand and wondering why it wont move. It would take about 200 lbs of force to compress the springs in the clutch.

Ha ha I asked the same question on here a while back, you cannot push that with your hand, you need the whole thing hooked up,I thought something was wrong as well.

I was worried my clutch was not tight enough and found out if the screw for the return on the sprocket cover is too tight results will vary from what you want... lol first gear with clutch in and the kick start will roll the bike forward, holy crap get out of the way! I imagine this could cause some issues. :yikes:

Back