Fuse Box Replacement Help

Mister Mumblez

the motonewb
Reaction score
Hey guys, just picked a beautiful '80 XS400 Special for a measly 800 bucks. She's in great shape, with only 9500 miles on her. First thing on the list of upgrades is a new fuse box. Her box is getting rusty as tends to happen with the older women. I've seen on a few old threads on different forums that upgrading to a blade style fuse box is the way to go. Being a complete electrical/mechanical newb, I don't know where to start. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 3k33ma3pb5V25Y55X3b5c14de3507415712b5.jpg
    3k33ma3pb5V25Y55X3b5c14de3507415712b5.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 961
Hey Mister Mumblez, welcome to the site. The box I am going to put into my bike is a 6 terminal, blade style box along the lines of the one on the bottom of this page: http://www.picocanada.com/en/products/fuses_regular_accessories.php .
If you have the extra wire length, chop off half-an-inch or so for a fresh connection and crimp on female spade connectors (put some dielectric grease in the holes to keep the water out). Then just plug everything into the new box and fill with appropriate fuses and away you go.

welcome MM,
the replacement fuse boxes are pretty much plug and play :D type. Do one wire at a time and it should be a pretty simple swap.
I also went with a six terminal box, second from the bottom in chris' link
012-1.jpg

don't mind the mess of wires, still have to clean up the harness and shorten some runs..

Another option, depending on the look you want: The PO of my bike installed 4 weather tight twist-lock O.E. type glass fuse holders but kept the old fuse box (non-functional) for the original look. The twist-lock holders are stuffed beneath the fuse box and are out of sight. Whatever you do, solder where possible!

This is probably more work that it's worth, but this is what I did:

I went to Radio Shack. The Shack had this 4 place fuse holder available:

fuseholder.th.jpg

his holds 4- 1/4" x 1 1/4" automotive type glass fuses. The original fuses are closer to 1".

I removed the fuse box and removed all of the original fuse holders. I then used a Dremel to remove the mounting tabs for the holders so the bottom of the fuse box is flat so I could mount the fuse holder in it.

On the holder above, you will see 8- 1/4" male tabs for terminals. I bent these down so that now the wires will enter the fuse box from beneath instead of from the side as is standard. The fuse holder is too wide to fit in the original box with the wires coming from the side. I then cut slots in the bottom of the fuse box to provide a place for the wires to connect to the tabs from underneath. I used insulated female 1/4" terminals on the wires as below:

prs1c2266039w345.jpg

I used very small bolts to bolt the fuse block inside the original fuse box, then plugged the terminals into the appropriate places so that the fuses were in the original order. I then glued the original sticker that had been in the fuse box (carefully removed earlier) onto the new fuse block, installed the new fuses (20A main, and 3-10A), and tested it. Everything works- no more power loss. Only down side is that because the fuses are longer, only 2 spares store under the cover instead of 3. I will post pics of the finished product later, but if you have had fuse block issues and want a clean, mostly original look, this is an inexpensive way to do it- soldering skills a plus.

For a couple of hours (including all the cleaning of connections mentioned) and less that $20, I have a pretty nice result.

dsc01473wn.jpg

dsc01478v.jpg

Great, thanks guys. That points me in the right direction, for sure. So the wires leave the fuse box and gather in some multi-pin connector, correct? What is that piece called should I need a replacement?

Back