Fuse box - Tines breaking, soldiering and option?

Phil_B

Noob trying to learn the basics-82 XS400 HS
Reaction score
Looking for a little guidance...

The little metal tines (anyone know the real name for these crimp things?) that hold the fuses in place are breaking. Right now I have them held in place with rubber as a temporary stop gap. Not good.

My question is a) can i solder these tines back together? b) can I simply re-crimp and replace them without completely replacing the box? if so can someone point me to the parts?

I have seen that others are replacing the fuse box, and even upgrading to blade type fuses. Id like to keep it as close to original as possible. I have seen the 'radio shack' fuse box replacement, though being in canada not sure i can get one. It is essentially just a better made set of glass fuse holders that people solider on and mount inside the original fuse box case, is that right? :umm:

Thanks guys!

Trying to solder the old clips together will never work, at least not for long.
There are lots of threads on fuse box replacements.
There's this retrofit that appears to fit in the stock fuse box:
http://www.xs400.com/threads/new-fuse-box.5942/#post-69755
Can't tell if the cover still fits.

This is my attempt at putting low-profile mini blade fuses in the stock box:
20170723_200315 (Medium).jpg

The four standard fuses and three spares. Working on a revised version for my XS400SJ.

Trying to solder the old clips together will never work, at least not for long.
There are lots of threads on fuse box replacements.
There's this retrofit that appears to fit in the stock fuse box:
http://www.xs400.com/threads/new-fuse-box.5942/#post-69755
Can't tell if the cover still fits.

This is my attempt at putting low-profile mini blade fuses in the stock box:
View attachment 30084
The four standard fuses and three spares. Working on a revised version for my XS400SJ.

Ohhh, this looks nice.

I ended up ordering the radioshack fuse board. somehow was thinking to stay with glass fuses (pointless nostalgia) but this looks good....

Thanks all the info gentlemen!

Back