Gas tanks that fit without mods

winslowtaft

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
This week i was lucky enough to buy and 79 XS400 that's been posted about on the forum before http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6987 and has had the beginnings of a flat tracker customization started on it. I'm really wanting to continue to develop that look on the bike and the first thing i'd like to tackle is the gas tank.

I searched the forum as best i could but wasn't able to find much about the best looking tanks that could be switched out on a bike without modifications. I definitely like the look of the 77 xs400 tank and assume that it would be a simple switch with my current tank. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I also really like the small enduro bike tank look, are there any of those small tanks that fit much better than others. I assume these smaller tanks all would need modifying or frame modifying to attach/fit.

Thanks!

attaching the 77 tank just for reference

Attachments

• 100484_01_md.jpg
    100484_01_md.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 3,456
I am fairly certain the boxy and tear drop tanks are direct swaps as I have seen 1978s with both styles.

As far as other tanks fitting without mods; I have never heard of any. The frame design on the XS makes it fairly unique.

IMG_0394.jpg

I put a 77 tank that I bought from the same ebay seller (motosmart) on my 82. The rubbers at the front of the tank line up great, but the rear bolt underneath the seat is too far forward. It's an easy fix if you have a welder... would take all of 10 minutes.

I can post a pic of how it sits on the frame later tonight if you wish.

Ok, so here's the stock teardrop style tank mounted up:

IMG_0450.jpg

And here's the 77 XS360 boxy tank:

IMG_0451.jpg

I left the bolt in the stock hole to give you a good visual of what's going on there. As you can see, the boxy tank is quite a bit shorter than the teardrops. Good news is that the tank's rear mounting hole still matches up with the stock crossmember so all you'd need to do is relocate the nut. Haven't gone very in depth with it myself, I'm still dealing with carbs for now... but it looks do-able. Either by drilling a hole larger than the bolt in diameter and welding a nut on the underside (haven't seen if there's room)... or if it's thick enough metal; simply drill and tap a hole.

If you do go this route, plan to do a seat at the same time. With the stock seat and the boxy tank, there's a fair size gap in between them that looks goofy.

IMG_0397.jpg

Hope this helps (sorry for the novel!) Let me know if you want any more pics or a better explanation.

E

Hey, first I wanted to say that your picture of the tanks was very helpful! My tank just spang a leak... Literally started dripping gas out the side of the tank so I am in need of a new one and also liked the boxier earlier models. My question, did you end up fitting an older model year seat on your '79 to fill the gap you described between your replacement tank and your '79 seat? If so what year worked? Thanks for any information...

Josh

Back