Getting started with welding

bcware

Well-read
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I want to learn how to weld; just simple things, but especially the frame of my motorcycle.

What kind of welder should I get? I don't know what kind or how powerful it needs to be. I want to be able to make a loop on my frame and some brackets. I'd like to only buy what I need for these sorts of jobs. I know a lot of you on here have experience with this sort of thing so help me out :bike:

I would star off with stick welder its pretty basic and good for most welding jobs.They dont cost alot and there easy way to learn.I learned how to weld back when i was in junior high I know how to weld with wire now but I dont have the machine.I was lucky that i was taught how to weld with wire through on the job training.

I started off with a cheap 100 amp stick welder from ebay that taught me simple fabrication techniques (until it broke after a few months). I then bought a flux-core welder from northern tool and equipment (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200403263_200403263). It is a great cheap welder that after 3 years of abuse still works great though is limited in its applications. In hindsight I would have started with the flux-core welder first as its much easier to learn and will get you welding fast. I then bought one of the lincoln electric welding packs from Home depot (the 140 HD) that covers all my welding needs.

What are some other essentials I should have beyond a mask, gloves, and some kind of heavy clothing? Is there anything that would make my life a lot easier?

From my experiences as a 25 year "professional amateur" auto body guy: get a used MIG welder and an auto-darkening helmet. MIGs can be had for a fairly reasonable price off craigslist and are so easy to learn how to weld with that even I did it plus they can be used with a variety of thickness metal from fairly thin auto body steel to heavy plate steel (if you get a model with a wide range of amperage, usually a 220V model).

TIG would be better but they seem to be more expensive and seem to require more skill.

The only thing I was concerned with in regard to mig or tig is that they require gas. Is that right? I like the simple flux core machine and it's really cheap to get started. I also think some of the flux core machines are capable of being upgraded to mig later. Right now I am mostly thinking about thicker metal, like bike frames or exhausts, etc. The flux core can also be used outdoors and is smaller to haul around.

From my experiences as a 25 year "professional amateur" auto body guy: get a used MIG welder and an auto-darkening helmet. MIGs can be had for a fairly reasonable price off craigslist and are so easy to learn how to weld with that even I did it plus they can be used with a variety of thickness metal from fairly thin auto body steel to heavy plate steel (if you get a model with a wide range of amperage, usually a 220V model).

TIG would be better but they seem to be more expensive and seem to require more skill.

This ^^
A stick welder is a waste of time. Sure, it welds, but your welds will be ugly as hell and you'll have to do a lot of cleanup. For $100 more you can buy a used Miller/Hobart/Lincoln 140ish amp MIG that will give great results for frame building. Now, if you want to weld up auto frames and such, you'll have to get into the 220v 180amp range, but for tubing a 110v 140amp unit should be fine. Make sure it's able to use gas. Flux core wire, while better than stick welding, is still crappy.
From there, get your helmet, some gloves and wear heavy clothes (cotton based, just in case). Maybe even have a fire extinguisher on hand.
Once you have your set up ready to go, watch YouTube videos on welding and practice. It's really not hard to lay a decent bead with a MIG.

*edit*
Here's a Northern Tool 135amp model that should be just fine for you, and it's brand new.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332691_200332691

Even though it's not one of the top 3, these have pretty good reviews.

*edit 2*
If you decide to buy that one, I have a $50 off coupon I can forward you.

Ok, say I go MIG. Where do I get the gas from? Do I buy a tank and do cylinder exchange somewhere?

I started off with a cheap campbell hausfeld flux core mig welder like this one. It worked well for the price and I could weld steel up to about an eighth of an inch with it. The flux is the shield for the weld (opposed to a mig which uses inert gas to sheild the weld). Most of the inexpensive flux core migs come with a cheap mask (some hand held) but harbor freight sells decent welding helmets for about $50. I started off welding old bed frames together and my first real project was a welding cart/table. (see below). I also bought a chop saw but a hand grinder is a must once you get started.
Once you get the hang of it you can upgrade to a better mig machine. I prefer the miller equipment but lincoln, esab, and hobart are good welders as well. Welders use consumables like tips (electrodes) so the brand name machines have more consumable parts readily available. That's my two cents, Good luck!

Wally

weldingcart10.jpg

Ok, say I go MIG. Where do I get the gas from? Do I buy a tank and do cylinder exchange somewhere?

Any good welding shop will supply sheilding gas. They usually set you up with a tank and you just bring the empty one back when it needs refilling (they have lifetime leasing contracts which is the same as buying the tank). There are a few different size tanks to choose from and most people use c25 gas which is a combination of C02 and argon (25% Carbon Dioxide and 75% Argon), it's used with a welding gas regulator (that usually comes with the welder). I use Praxair for my supplies, they're world wide so chances are there's one near you. If not, any good welding supply store will set you up.

Wally

There should be welding supply companies in your area, depending on the size of your city. Here, we have some nationwide stores like Praxair and Airgas. Just Google "welding supplies [your city]" and see what pops up.
Once you find a place, you can rent tanks per year or per month. I want to say it cost about $70 to rent a tank for a year and get it filled. Depending on the supplier, they might offer an exchange/refill option. Some don't do that cause there's issues with tank ownership and liability (tanks need to be inspected for integrity). But that might be an option too, finding a bottle on Craigslist for cheap, then getting it filled, bypassing the rental fees. Just call to verify.
As for size, you can get away with a smaller bottle. The set up I used to do all the fab on my hardtail conversion was a tank that was about 5ft tall (don't know the CFM) and we had plenty left over.

The gas tanks need to be certified every couple of years ( I think every 10 years, may be different in your state). Before buying a tank find out when it was last certified or you will wind up paying extra to exchange it or have it certified. I had a nice light indistrial MIG and my bottles were only 3 feet tall. Only had it filled 4 or 5 times over 20 years of intermittant use. I still kick myself for selling it when we planned on moving a few years ago.

Back