1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Going batteryless / PMA Upgrade

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rafanomenon, Nov 19, 2013.

Tags:
  1. rafanomenon

rafanomenon XS400 Enthusiast

I completely removed the starter motor and the gears from the engine, as well as all the wires and rebuild the wiring harness from scratch, so the electric start isn't even an option. :wink2:

As with yours, my bike would probably start if I farted or sneezed towards the kickstart lever, with half choke.

My issue is space, and trying to keep everything clean and tidy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There may just be enough room underneath the seat to fit one of those small, SLA 1.3aH batteries right beside the CDA. The reg/rec will fit under the tank in between the frame rails once I weld on some tabs.

2. bcware

bcware Well-read Top Contributor

That's probably one of the best hard tail xs400s ever made and it's not even done yet.

3. rafanomenon

Whoa. Thanks man! That's definitely what I was going for when I started to build it. I've built 6 bikes the rough way, and wanted to challenge myself with this build to do things the RIGHT way (i.e. no rattle can black and zip ties :laugh:)

4. Tombo

Tombo XS400 Addict

Yes, thus is a beauty! Love how the seat flows into the tank, very clean. I like how the buffer/grinder looks handlebar mounted in first picture. Also, I really like the raw metal look, are you painting or going course? Coarse wire wheel its the only look that could improve your tank/seat pan imo

5. rafanomenon

The original plan was to paint it, but it would be a shame to cover up the awesome metal work. If anything, I will probably add small, upholstered knee pads to the tank indents, and maybe pinstripe or paint a line down dead center, then clear coat. Haven't decided yet... I do like the look of all the bare metal though...

6. bcware

bcware Well-read Top Contributor

Bare metal is somewhat common on featured bikes, but I don't think I have ever seen it in real life. Well, maybe once, but it was "bike week" and people come from all over the place with show bikes.

7. Charles

Charles XS400 Addict

It's cause it's very hard to make clear coats adhere to bare metal. You can try clear powder coating, but that tends to yellow over time.

8. Watts up

Watts up XS400 Member

Denver
    Morris magneto makes an upgrade that "supposedly" will achieve what you are wanting. It is god awful looking to me and pricey. $1000. It's is made for the 650 but they assured me it could work on the 400. Morrismagneto.com model yxs