Going to be hell finding parts for my TX500!

markjs

XS400 owner, bike lover
Reaction score
I can't even get an air cleaner it's all discontinued and the bike is too rare for aftermarket. Gonna have to start fucking with pods on a bike dependent on a vacuum restrictive airbox.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to look for rare Yamaha parts?

On the air filter you have, what is it made of? If it is a steel frame covered by the filter element, remove the filter element. It may be some kind of foam or paper. Uni-Filter sells air filter foam in sheets. They have different densities. cut the sheet of foam so it fits around where the original element was. A inch or so of overlap and tie it in place.
This makes a filter element you can take of and clean.
The 74 TX500 was the A model. As in TX500A. 73 was the TX500, In 75 they went to the XS designation. They used the XS to end of production in 78. 75 was a B, 76 was a C, 77 was a D, 78 was an E.
So your Chap with an XS500 was a 75 XS500B or later.
This engine design was a not a predessesor of anything. It was a poor attemp to make an upright twin smoother. Like the TX 750. Both were a failure.
Leo

Hey Mark a while back in this thread I asked if you read up about all the problems this bike has,If you havent you may consider doing so and might be in your best interest to sell or part the bike out if it doesnt hurt your friends feelings.Just something to think about.I know these are very rare bikes and maybe you would like to keep it cause of this reason?:shrug:You have a very nice bike btw.I dont know what your plans are but if its going to be one head ache after another to find parts that you need for it the bike may not be worth putting alot of affort into.Heres an idea I dont if it will work or not but maybe try swapping top ends with xs400 bottom end.At least you have a bike with a larger bore and you can get away from the balance shaft.:)

On the air filter you have, what is it made of? If it is a steel frame covered by the filter element, remove the filter element. It may be some kind of foam or paper. Uni-Filter sells air filter foam in sheets. They have different densities. cut the sheet of foam so it fits around where the original element was. A inch or so of overlap and tie it in place.
This makes a filter element you can take of and clean.
The 74 TX500 was the A model. As in TX500A. 73 was the TX500, In 75 they went to the XS designation. They used the XS to end of production in 78. 75 was a B, 76 was a C, 77 was a D, 78 was an E.
So your Chap with an XS500 was a 75 XS500B or later.
This engine design was a not a predessesor of anything. It was a poor attemp to make an upright twin smoother. Like the TX 750. Both were a failure.
Leo
the uk never had the TX moniker afaik and the picture he showed me looked like this

http://www.cmsnl.com/xs500_model16838/info/

Back